anyone know the oil content in the sidewinder 30% off road nitro fuel? blue color

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
just picked this fuel up at my local hobby shop, i wanted to try a 30% nitro in my savage x 4.6 bb.
i am curious about the oil content in this fuel, i saw on google a website said 20% synthetic oil and that seems very high and then another one said 9% synthetic oil

if its indeed 9% then that seems low for me

i was reading that low oil is bad for longevity etc but then i also heard lately that the oils are so good now a days that we don't need 15% of oil to lubricate efficiently

what do yall think
thx!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 5.15.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 5.15.58 PM.png
    841.6 KB · Views: 345
I believe it is 9% oil. It’s a fully synthetic oil and does not contain castor oil. Probably a decent fuel, I’ve never used sidewinder but they have been around forever and have a good reputation. You are correctly about the oil, you don’t need 15-20% oil like many many years ago. I personally use fuel with about 12% oil just for a little more protection and hopefully longer engine life. I’ve used plenty of 30% nitro over the years with 10-11% oil with no ill effects though. Hope someone can chime in with more information. I will say, I believe oil with castor and synthetic is better because synthetic has a tendency to burn off if overheated, where as the castor has a higher burn point and provides better protection if you don’t know how to tune, or if you run too lean and get the engine too hot. Some of this information is probably wildly outdated though, and I’m sure synthetics have progressed to the point where they are just as good as castor in extreme situations.

Last edited:
just picked this fuel up at my local hobby shop, i wanted to try a 30% nitro in my savage x 4.6 bb.
i am curious about the oil content in this fuel, i saw on google a website said 20% synthetic oil and that seems very high and then another one said 9% synthetic oil

if its indeed 9% then that seems low for me

i was reading that low oil is bad for longevity etc but then i also heard lately that the oils are so good now a days that we don't need 15% of oil to lubricate efficiently

what do yall think
thx!
listed on amain it says 20% synthetic oil, personally a bit higher than id run, but i also don't run fuels with strictly synthetic.
100% to what @Losi215 said.
i personally run sidewinder race blend 30/12 and very very happy with, used to run sidewinder basher blend, and VP master basher, but was a bit pickier on tune.
don't really need higher oil content than 8%, but 10-12% will give a safety net in case you do start running lean.
for engines with ABN cylinder and sleeves they also require a bit higher oil content, but not many are ABN anymore.

I believe it is 9% oil. It’s a fully synthetic oil and does not contain castor oil. Probably a decent fuel, I’ve never used sidewinder but they have been around forever and have a good reputation. You are correctly about the oil, you don’t need 15-20% oil like many many years ago. I personally use fuel with about 12% oil just for a little more protection and hopefully longer oil. I’ve used plenty of 30% nitro over the years with 10-11% oil with no ill effects though. Hope someone can chime in with more information. I will say, I believe oil with castor and synthetic is better because synthetic has a tendency to burn off if overheated, where as the castor has a higher burn point and provides better protection if you don’t know how to tune, or if you run too lean and get the engine too hot. Some of this information is probably wildly outdated though, and I’m sure synthetics have progressed to the point where they are just as good as castor in extreme situations.
great thanks for the help! i guess i dont need to worry that much anyways because i only bought a 1 quart to test it out. do u know if we can add any easy to obtain oils to incresae the oil content

Hey buddy read D3MONS post above, it actually is 20% oil. I’m sorry for the misinformation about that but everything else I said I can say is fact. Maybe synthetic fuels have a higher total oil content in general vs the castor synthetic blends. Either way, don’t add anymore oil to your quart of fuel. Test it out and see what you think, but I would personally use a different fuel in general.

Hey buddy read D3MONS post above, it actually is 20% oil. I’m sorry for the misinformation about that but everything else I said I can say is fact. Maybe synthetic fuels have a higher total oil content in general vs the castor synthetic blends. Either way, don’t add anymore oil to your quart of fuel. Test it out and see what you think, but I would personally use a different fuel in general.
thx for the reply yall! and yeah i was confused because i saw 20% on some websites and then another said 9%. the reason i am confused is because 20% seems really high, but its probably cuz its onyl syn lube

sadly my local lhs only has sidewinder and i wanted to use 30% and try it out, i guess we willl see how it goes thanks!

thx for the reply yall! and yeah i was confused because i saw 20% on some websites and then another said 9%. the reason i am confused is because 20% seems really high, but its probably cuz its onyl syn lube

sadly my local lhs only has sidewinder and i wanted to use 30% and try it out, i guess we willl see how it goes thanks!
Check out bones brew motor sports online if you’re in the USA. One of the cheapest fuels on the market if you get it by the gallon, and one of the top quality fuels as well. Great protection, good tuning properties, plenty of protection, good oil package, and they can even custom blend fuel if you want to go that route. They offer a 20% nitro 12 % oil blend and a 30% nitro blend with 10% oil. They also have racing fuel with 30 % nitro 8% oil blend but i never tried that as I only use my nitros occasionally and don’t race or anything. I’ve used MANY gallons total of the 20/12 and 30/10 with wonderful results. My engines run great, tune pretty easy, and last. I haven’t had one issue with the fuel and it’s my go to nitro now after Byrons shut its doors. Check out this fuel, you can order it online and Brent Bones has fast shipping. I’m lucky enough to get this fuel at my local Hobbytown of all places.

Sadly both of you are WRON G http://www.morganfuel.com/
Its' listed at 9% oil. Yes you can add oil lube. 5 oz per gallon get 2% more oil lube.

Last edited:
might be worth reaching out to Morgan fuels to confirm which is correct, Amains description is said to have 20% oil with only synthetic oils:
Amain:
1617114953083.png

and off Morgan fuels website shows to be
9% with both castor and synthetic.
1617115193322.png

dont know if one is non-updated, i know they more recently updated the formula and dont know which is correct.

hope that helps

What can't handle the truth!!!! 9% oil castor blend.

Attachments

• product-analysis-2020_mod-1857-1-_in-476 (5).pdf
    139.9 KB · Views: 126
What can't handle the truth!!!! 9% oil castor blend.
can't handle reading? or is it a sad attempt at trolling? if you noticed i posted a screen shot that exact document in my response,
might try actually reading before replying and not just assuming after the... i would say first sentence, but even there i was being objective to the information given by both sides.

thx for the help y'all! i think I'm just gonna run a tad richer since its probably 9%, adding more oil seems like a hassle I'm kinda lazy to go out and buy some aha

Back