Anyone ever make your own exhaust????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampede boy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My brother and i want to try to make our own exhaust out of copper tubing. Anyone ever do this?

Well, all I can say is good luck. There is a tuning length, flow volume and velocity of exhaust gas to worry about....I rig a lot of things up but the pipe is one of those important things that I leave to the experts to make.

Copper tubing pipes have been done before. They usually lead to a REALLY short engine life, since they lack the proper reversion chamber (that big fat part near the end of the exhaust). Without that chamber, the exhaust won't reverberate, and the engine won't be able to scavenge properly. This is why they're called "tuned" pipes, since they "tune" the timing of the reversion pulse, shoving the fuel charge back into the cylinder.

(Reversion is another way of saying confined echo, by the way. Think of it as the sound wave of the combustion hitting the end of the pipe and bouncing back to the engine.)

A proper pipe shape is much more important than attempting to save money with copper tubing. Do your engine a huge favor, and stick to a tuned pipe; it'll thank you for it.