anybody ever make a custom fuel tank?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hey guys, I'm thinking about making twin custom fuel tanks for my twin Maxx project. Anybody ever try it? I don't know what kind of plastic most fuel tanks are made of. I have a lil butane torch with a heat gun tip attachment, does anybody think I could meld that type of material together? or what about plastic cement? Any ideas would be wonderful, thanks.

I am not familar with your project but would it not be easier to find a tank from another rc and try to fit it on. I ride my fourwheelers alot and when the plastic body gets cracked I have tried to use the same butane torch and the metal tip thing and try to melt them back together, it looks like poop and does not last long. Yes your fuel tank will not take the same abuse, hopefully, but it does have to be air tight. If you chose to glue it together you would have to chose your glue wisely, you would not want the fuel breaking down the glue and then it getting in your engine. I am not knocking your idea at all, I have even tried to glue cracked fuel tanks with no luck so far. I have a titan twin that came with 2 125cc fuel tanks and right now I in the process of fitting it with 2 250cc fuel tanks. Yes I know that is 500cc, and that is alot of weight but I just use the truck to bash, and with 5hp I have the power to carry that much fuel.

Yes I would have to agree with Maskale on this, see what you can find in fuel tanks for other RC's and work with them. It will be alot less of a pain in the a$$. You don't want any leaks.

hmmm. I'll see what I can find. The maxx conversion kit from New Era utilizes only one fuel tank. it's 250cc but with 2 Outlaws I imagine that'll suck down in no time. Besides, I kinda would like to have dedicated tanks anyways just to compare fuel usage between both engines.. problem is that there is no obvious place to put another 250cc tank so I thought I could just make one somehow. Your definately right about the bond breaking down though. Hell, that would suck major ass. I foresee a lot of research with this.. oh well, all in the fun. I'll post if I figure anything out. Thanks guys.

I dunno,250cc is a pretty big tank,I don't see how you'd need much more than that.the ofna titan twin uses 2 force 26 engines and it has a combined tank capacity of 290cc,so 250 isn't really all that small.

oh really.. didn't know that. hmmm. might just scrap that idea after all. I mean, it would be cool, but not necessary then. thanks

how long does a buggy run on 125cc with a 21 5-7min. so with a 250cc and 2 big blocks it seems that you would still get 5-7 min.

iam getting about 12 miniuts on a 125cc tank.running hard. w/a ws711 in my buggy

man i dont think i am getting that much, and i usually run around 250, with the siro 21 kanai edition.

I would try and make one out of 1/8 in aluminum and weld it together instead of trying to make one out of plactic. It would be a lot easer to seal off at least, if you have a TIG welder.

if u want to hook up dueal gas tanks, i know how. isnt hard at all. i did it on my sportmaxx and nitro stampede. just hook them up in a series.

later

I thought about that also MT, but seeing as I'm gonna be runnin twin engines I think it may make a little more sense to just run them dedicated. I was thinking what would be the better route but I couldn't think of any reasons to run them inline rather than dedicated.

Unfortunately, I don't have a welder of any sort. I was thinking about CA glue. that poop is pretty strong. the only thing is makin sure all my edges are lined up pefectly so I get a good seal. I'm not sure if CA glue would break down with exposure to nitro though.... not sure where i could fine out. I have 2 new era 250cc tanks and they are actually made of two pieces (each tank that is). They are bonded somehow. I emailed New Era asking how they are bonded so hopefully I'll get some kind of answer. I really think I could make a good set of custom tanks... just have to find out how to bond the plastic w/o having an issue with nitro exposure.

I would like to see how it comes out and if it works post pics!

I have heard that nitro will break down CA, imagine what CA will do in your engine. How about getting two pieces of plastic, glue them together and let them sit in nitro overnight and see what the CA does. I would use a sealed container so your nitro doesn't evaporate.

Factory tanks are probably bonded/melted together.

New Era says they are electrostaticly welded. I say screw any kind of glue in the idea, too risky. So I cut the two pieces apart today so I could try to weld them back together right.... SUCCESS!! I have a little torch with a couple of different soldering tips. It works great! I just move the tip back and forth along the joint kinda making a pattern similar to Mig welding. When it sets back up it's almost as strong as it was before. It's still damn strong but I think if I had a thin strip of the same type of plastic to weld into the joint it would be a little bit stronger. Well, off the the drawing board!

LOL! I dunno why the hell I was sayin they were 250 cc. I'm such a dunce, hehe. They are both 125 cc tanks. So I was thinking about these Dubro fuel tanks, they make a 2oz. tank that would fit in pretty nicely where I want it to.. one tank per engine. I'm not sure how many cc's 2 oz.is but do you guys think that's too small for a .26?

Last edited:
1oz is equal to 29.57353 cc. So 2oz is equal to 59.14706 cc. So 2oz may be to small.

ok, so (2) of those 2 oz tanks would be really close to the 125 cc tank... about a half a cup. so here's what I'm goin just to clarify. I wanna put my fuel underneath my chassis place on both sides of the truck, yeah I know it'll be exposed but I don't expect to be doin any 8 ft. drops like some of the big bashers here can. I'm tryin to build this thing to be as balanced as I can possibly get it, plus it'll put the fuel weight a little lower to the ground. Not that I can race it but I guess it's more of a personal project than anything.I think I'm gonna try 'n' use 4 sullivan 2 oz. tanks. One at each corner of the chassis. They fit well there because there not wider than the chassis and not deeper than the lower braces ( I could probably make some custom wide full length skids someday if I wanted to tear it up some ) As far as refueling I got a couple Dubro fuel valves that'll fit very nicely in the center skid.. I think (just have to keep the fuel lines away from the drive shaft). Tell me what ya think. I know it's a lot of work for a couple fuel tanks but it'll be one of a kind.

So you will replace 2 tanks with 4. You may not find another rc with 2 engines and 4 tanks, but like you said it is a personal project and if the setup you mentioned works out for you then do it and have fun with it.

Back