Another wont idle post.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctionboy11

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so I bought a revo 3.3 used. I'm newish to nitro, it is showing symptoms of having a bad piston/sleeve. It starts great when its cold, runs awesome until it gets to normal temp. Well it runs fine, I can run it like crazy for like 5mins, but when I pull it in to make my adjustments and it dies and almost will not start back, unless it cools off for a few.I'm lost, I've checked everything.

How many gallons have been through the engine?

I know a man should always ask, but I didn't. I know palm to forehead moment.

---------- Post added at 9:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:20 PM ----------

How should I check compression?

I don't think you're lost. I think you have it figured out in your second sentence where you said "symptoms of having a bad piston/sleeve". I had a used 3.3 that did the same thing. Starts when it's cold, stalls when it's warm and won't start up until it's cool. I think I got a sleeve and piston on ebay for about $50.

I really just wanna drive it:( It's so much stinkin fun. I used to be die hard electric, but this thing is wicked.

But, could it be the ez start not warming the plug enough?

Easy starting when cold and dies when warm is a sure sign the engine is worn out. If you have a hand held glow ignitor, pull the wire off the plug and use the ignitor instead, if it still won't start then refer back to my opening sentence.

Ok guys, I will check. Should I go back stock or upgrade?

If you're a beginner I would just stick with the 3.3 .once you start getting bigger more powerful engines you spend more time fixing stuff.plus a new 3.3 without a carb will only set you back $85

Can you pinch the 3.3 sleeve I'm not sure but if it's done anyway it can't hurt to try I know ofna has a pinch kit but I've never used one it might be easier to just get another engine but not always I'm on engine #5 and still having issues with tuning. Only buy used if you trust the seller mate most people fob bad engines on to new guys then say its our fault fir not being experienced. Jrc on ebay sells pisons and sleeves together cheap. If the rest of the engine is ok which it probably isnt

If you want to refurbish that engine get all new bearings . Con rod . Piston and sleeve it woukd probably be cheaper to buy a new engine from traxxas on the new for old deal if that still applies.