Another question: What to expect with 3.3 break-in??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwdave

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've actually have two 3.3's to break in, my Revo and TMaxx trucks. The way the carbs come from factory, do they usually start up for break in without adjustments? I now I'll need an extra glow plug on hand. My 2.5's run like junk Previous owner trashed them, and from the condition they were in , they were not maintained.

Is the 3.3 really that much better?

Last edited:
What do you mean 'is the 3.3 really that much better'?

You say "your 2.5's run like junk Previous owner trashed them, and from the condition they were in, they were not maintained."

The 3.3 is basically the same engine as the 2.5 . . .

If your 3.3's have not been abused, they should be fine.

If looking to purchase an engine, rather than spending $100 on a 3.3 I would probably save a little harder and get something different.

Nothing wrong with them as such - other than the rod tends to let go if you push the tune to hard or after a little bit of abuse.

3.3 is the same as 2.5? Ur not talking speed and power right lol? The 3.3 is a pretty quick and powerful motor when tuned right, to my surprise I found out when I broke in and drove mines, but quickly removed it for a picco 26 max. When breaking in my 3.3 I heated te block with a blow dryer to heat it up and help it start easier. My 3.3 fired right up after installed, did the same thing with picco and that fired right up. One issue I had during break in was I broke 2 clutch springs before my 5th tank so I upgraded to m2c racing clutch and never had the clutch issue again even with picco max. Just take ur time during break in, let motor cool off in between and make sure it's at bottom dead center and u will have a strong easy to tune motor.