Another lean/rich question..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamjithrp

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys,
So I was doing the break in on my new tmaxx 3.3. It wasn't starting the few attempts and the engine was getting flooded all the time and also spitting fuel like crazy. So i adjusted the needle to the leaner side and it started right away. I was watching the smoke, it was still blue-ish white and when I keep my hand near the exhaust, I was feeling the fuel spit a bit.

After some tanks i noticed that there was an issue shifting to the second gear and the engine cut off. That seemed like I was running a lean mixture all the time even though i was getting some blue smoke. I returned the HSN back to the factory setting (4 turns out ) and it started without any issues.

Questions -
1. I was possibly running lean for some tanks. How can i check for damage if any?
2. The spark plug wire just above plug had a little black sleeve which seems to be baked a bit. Signs of lean??
3. The spark plug after 6 tanks of break in has black spots on the piston side. Signs of lean??

Those may be signs of lean, check your temps I prefer it to be no more than 285 but an optimal temp would be about 230. Just make sure you have a good stream of blue smoke and are spitting a little but not a lot of fuel.

Replay was deleted do to inability to express correctly..

Last edited: