aluminum vs plastic

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomDR.

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
okay heres my theory using plastic parts give you a week point so if i crash bluk heads and a arms will break easy but if i switch all that out with aluminum, everything will be more rigid so when i crash hard enough to break stuff it will do more damage then with plastic what do you guys think and or know about what is the best to use

plastic tends to flex.

aluminium tends to bend.

I've run into gutters before, gotten front steering arms to flex enough that the driveshaft bent!!! but the plastic didn't crack or break...

Get aluminum bulks. Skid plates. Shock mounts.

RPM plastic control arms. Original bumper mounts and bumpers.

Leaves enough FLEX to keep from breaking anything important. But enough strength to literaly jump 30 feet.

I would definitely get aluminum bulkheads....nearly a must. I am not a huge fan on alloy skids because unless they are VERY solid they tend to bend then break. Shock towers are ok to get alloy or go RPM along with your A-arms. Chassis rails are another good bling upgrade to help reduce flex....with that you can be good and solid.

Rpm is the way to go. Get all the rpm parts and some good aluminum bulks. I say good because not all bulks are the same. I have Integy bulks, but since I bought them I've heard alot of bad stuff about integy. They should be ok but stay away from Integy stuff. You want your inboard parts to be rigid and outer parts (arms, axle carriers etc.) to flex. I've seen to many people on you tube with aluminum arms and stock bulks....makes me laugh.

I would not use luminum skids, they will bend, and when you bend them back they will become weak until you break them which will not take long. I would go with titanium over aluminum, or the RC Solutions spring steel skids, if they are still making them.

Aluminum bulks yes, but be sure to upgrade the hinge pins to titanium though, or if you bend one you will have a hell of a time getting the stock pins out. Aluminum arms no way, go rpm. I also agree to use the stock bumper mounts. I have aluminum bumpers, but my mounts are stock for a planned weak link.

Some guys will recommend rpm towers, I don't, they are nylon and too flexable imo, I would go with aluminum towers, but use stock plastic body posts, again, a planned weak link.

Aluminum chassis rails are another good place to upgrade.

Also, do NOT buy anything with Integy on it!

i would go with plastic and dye it to a colour if you want but with aluminum you prob need bigger engine

i would go with plastic and dye it to a colour if you want but with aluminum you prob need bigger engine

No need for a bigger engine.. not because of aluminum upgrades anway.

thanks for all the info guys. in most the posts everyone says dont buy Integy i dont know anything about them so what is so bad about them

Crappy material and customer support. They're garbage all the way around.

Integy is pretty, but weak and brittle. NO customer support. The instant you put it on the car, the warranty is void, even if you never started it. That should tell you everything you have to know about them. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

haha I was just going to post about this I'm wondering the same thing, I just broke my rear shock mount and dont know to get aluminum or plastic I think I'm going to go with aluminum because I dont feel like breaking it again.

Crappy material and customer support. They're garbage all the way around.

Also they have like 5 different versions of the same part, it's ridiculous. Who's testing this crap? How can they keep churning stuff out without some good R&D? Unfortunately I own a fair amount of integy, and the stuff I've used so far (clutches, revo mount, maxx mount, maxx bulks, tires) seem to be ok. I'll be looking elsewhere from now on especially after buying a few duds recently.....oh well, it's just money right?