Alum Clutch Shoe Upgrade Expectations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjstinson

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just upgraded to HPI Racing aluminum clutch shoes on my Savage X F4.6 (purchased new in February 2014) and I have had issues with a clutch holder and shifting. I believe I have fixed those issues, but I am curious what to expect with the new clutch shoes compared to the stock shoes so I can distinguish what I have fixed and what the upgrade is offering.

Can anyone tell me what to expect from stock shoes to the HPI-Racing aluminum upgrade if they have made the same change to their Savage of the same model?

Thanks!

Neither is 'better'....it's about what is required to harness as much usable power on a specific surface. Or am I wrong here? The goal is for the engine to get in it's power-band without it bogging. It's an aggregated effect (shoe weight/count, spring tension, flywheel weight--and alum is the material) To go further, the specific material can differ (soft/medium/hard)

In general:
Alum clamps harder. That is good and bad, just like it is good and bad for nylon to slip more
Alum wears faster than nylon
Alum leaves a residue inside clutch bells (so best to have alum-specific bells). .
Alum shoes should be initially seated.
Alum require more maintenance.

With that, I run mostly alum. but prefer nylon for my Savage. I base this on my engine power and traction I can get in most environments.

I have run three different brands of alum shoes in my Savage (including a 4-shoe). They all behaved differently except what I noted above. I have not run the HPI ones.

If you were to show me two Savages running---one with alum and one with composite, I could not tell you which was which. If you those two were running the same material but one light shoes with 1.1 springs and the other heavy shoe shoes with .90 springs---i imagine I could differentiate.

Last edited:
Hello! I am starting out running (can run .5-.75 of a mile without stopping) but every time I wear super cushiony shoes after .25 of a mile my knees start to hurt, but whenever I run in non-cushiony shoes (actually under armor sandles/shower shoes I can run no problem, no pain. I'm wondering if that is normal or is really weird. I went to a RoadRunnerSports and in the step video, they took, the inside of my feet land before the rest of my foot if that helps at all. Should I continue to run with the non-cushiony shoes, run with the cushiony shoes, or what? I'm not sure what to do and don't want to hurt myself as I progress to my running goals.

Last edited:
Hello! I am starting out running (can run .5-.75 of a mile without stopping) but every time I wear super cushiony shoes after .25 of a mile my knees start to hurt, but whenever I run in non-cushiony shoes (actually under armor sandles/shower shoes I can run no problem, no pain. I'm wondering if that is normal or is really weird. I went to a RoadRunnerSports and in the step video, they took, the inside of my feet land before the rest of my foot if that helps at all. Should I continue to run with the non-cushiony shoes, run with the cushiony shoes, or what? I'm not sure what to do and don't want to hurt myself as I progress to my running goals.
Wow. Thats a random reply to a 7.5 year old thread that has to do with a clutch for a remote controlled monster truck. I feel as if were being trolled... 🤔

I would go with the aluminum shoe upgrade mentioned above. As mentioned, they will require more maintenance, and may be a bit harder on your feet, but the benefits would far outweigh the disadvantages. They would be far more durable than under armors. If you want to put some spark in your step, go with magnesium 😉😁🤣

T6 7075 aluminum would be the perfect upgrade as it doesn’t bend much under impact. Big MT tires are good for cushioning the landing due to the large amount of foam in them. You may need heavier shock oil for handling. You could also adjust the shock‘s preload settings.

Back