Alkaline or NICad rechargeables?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade88

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was using rechargeables in my battery box for my Savage and noticed they were only 1.2v instead of1.5 like alkalines. It did work though! what do you guys prefer? I have 4 rechargable alkalines with a charger, can I charge normal non rechargable alkalines? or BOOOM?:microwave

the diff in volts will not harm u. u will find that the nicads will provide a slightly shorter time at full charge, and a slightly reduced range. i recommend getting a 5cell rechargable nimh pack - but it isnt manditory. u can also use regular alkaline batts in the back like u asked and it will not hurt anything.

I find that Alkalines usually have a longer run time than most NiCd. But I agree with Nitro, NiMh would be a good upgrade but not mandatory.

If you were using NiCd before and decide to go to NiMh make sure your charger is built to work with NiMh. If not you can damage the NiMh batteries and dramaticaly shorten their lifespan. NiMh report peak voltage little differently and your charger has to be able to detect the false peaks. DO NOT use a cheap quick-charger with a timer on NiMh....you WILL damage your batteries.

And NO....to my knowledge you cannot recharge Alkaline batteries.

I would suggest using a rechargeable NiMh 5-cell hump pack. You can usually go about 10 tanks before having to recharge them. You also get better response from your servos.

big kal - i agree - the nimh is the way to go - i race all day with my trinity 1300ma pack, and just use my overnight charger when i am done for the day. renegade DO NOT RECHARGE ALKALINES _ THEY WILL GO BOOM!

Last edited:
Hump pack it is

I hump pack it. Alkalines are for emergencies only. I have found that my Sanyo Ni-cd batts for my TX out last Alks in the TX. I wouldnt use them in a RX though and can't comment on how long they last. Only Ni-MH in the RX because I'm not into the whole battery maintainence, I dont like the whole they develop a memory thing. The main thing I noticed is the Voltage is lower at a full charge with Ni-cd compared to Alks but the Ni=cd do last longer.