Aftershock hop up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So well I've put away my aftershock for the winter, I've decided to do some upgrades. I want more durability then performance right now. I saw the one thread, where the guy had all those titanium parts that's a little to pricey for me. So I'm thinking, rpm arms, shock towers, ( maybe aluminum) I already have the rpm gear cover and head guard. Anything else you guys think I left out that would be good. Maybe a new pipe, I've heard it performs alot better with one. I was thinking the losi ht tuned pipe.

Yeah a roll bar would be good, I do roll it alot. Got sway bars just need to install them. With the rpm arms cause there's an upper and lower does that mean I need 4 packs as opposed to like a buggy where I'd only need 2 to do the whole car.

You need 4 packs of the arms: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKJD5&P=7

Would highly suggest lunsford turnbuckles for the upper arms and also for the other turnbuckles on the truck. I busted stock turnbuckles all the time and got sick of it. A couple times, when I busted a turnbuckle, I didn't notice it in time and the extreme angle caused the axle to break at the cvd joint.

The RPM turnbuckles for the upper arms are just horrid. I busted two within my first tank. And of course, they don't break off with anything sticking out so you can get a tool on them to back out the stump... had to cut a notch with my dremel which also cut the arm a bit.

I used these for the RPM replacements: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZTJ3&P=7

Takes two sets of these for the aftershock/LST1 to replace the stock turnbuckles: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product.../48871/n/Lunsford-Losi-LST-2-Turnbuckle-Kit-2

Ok first off thanks, anything that's going to save me from fixing it more is a plus, it's damn frustrating sometimes especially after just installing something new. So for the rpm arms use the turnbuckles from the first link and the stock is the second.

Yeah, I wouldn't even install the arms without the replacements for the RPM included turnbuckles. Too annoying digging out the stumps when they will snap off, and they will snap off.

As for the stock ones on all 4 wheels, you can buy them pretty cheap on ebay. When I sold my aftershock, I forgot how many I bought... had 10 spares and kept the 4 or 5 broken ones with them just for the ends. Just something to keep on hand, or spend the $ and fix it now so you can not worry about it. :)

You may want to look into RC Raven shock springs as well. Far better than the Losi yellow springs. Way better than stock.

Would also really suggest looking into some revo/t-maxx 3.8 sized tires/wheels. 40's are ok, but still add more excess pressure/force than typical revo 3.8 sized. Helps greatly with acceleration and durability. Less leverage = less broken suspension parts. Less rotational mass = less strain on the engine/two speed/clutch/diffs.

I think running the tires/wheels I had on mine is what made my two speed OWB last so long. Combine that with the RPM arms and I had run over 10 hard gallons through that rig and never busted an axle carrier/c-hub even though they are much lighter built than the LST2/XL versions. Heck, even my diffs and center axles were original, at least the gears in the diffs were. At about the 5-6 gallon mark, I pulled the diffs and upgraded the cups to the heavy duty cups with steel inserts for the x-pins (picture doesn't match, but part# does). I think I replaced the bearings in the diffs at that time as well.

The 3.8 wheels will also help with the steering servos last longer too right. That sounds good too me, very helpful info right here. As for the diffs I don't even have half a gallon through it yet so I think I'm good there. But I did bookmark all your links including this thread. Eventually I want to upgrade the shocks too, I was looking at the losi aluminum ones that I think are stock on xxl, but I would put some aluminum caps on to. What do you think? Thanks for the help man this is great info and help.

Correct on the steering. Also steered quicker. I never needed to upgrade the stock servos for steering. I did upgrade the t/b servo though since I got a single CF disk for brakes vs stock. Needed more torque on the servo to get the truck to stop how I like.

As for shocks, I ran ones like the LST2 had, threaded aluminum body with plastic caps. Seemed to hold up just fine to me. However, I did drill out the towers/shock standoffs on top and put in 4mm bolt with a locknut on the back side.

With the stiffer springs, during big air jumps (excess of 6 feet off the ground), I started to snap upper shock mount bolts every time out. After installing 4mm bolts... was no longer an issue.

Just thought of another upgrade, but may not work with your stock pipe. The losi hard anno'd center chassis plate. It has little wings that stick out under the spurs and pipe. Even with the cover on the spurs, if you land on or hit something hard on the bottom of the spur case, it will move enough to jam right into the spurs and bend the trans input shaft. Which then has a tendency to strip your spurs since it's no longer in alignment with the bell all the time.. Did that twice before I got the center skid... then didn't do it ever again afterward.

FYI, my aftershock was built like a tank when I was done. I'd still have it, but I hated beating on it like my revo. Was a great handling rig that was fast. When I bashed with other guys, they couldn't touch me. Then all my bash buddies lost jobs/had kids and punted the hobby to the side, so my aftershock sat on a shelf for a year or two. Then one of them was curious if I wanted to sell since he had gotten rid of his LST2 and wanted back in the hobby. He drooled on my aftershock every time we bashed. Now he has it and I got a revo/5B since, so I don't miss it... much. ;)

I stripped out a steering servo once already but just got a new stock. I did however upgrade the throttle brake servo to a hitec one. I don't know how but I some how slit the wire. Ended a good day of bashing too. Would that chassis plate work with the losi ht tuned pipe? Now if I went with some aluminum shock towers would that stop the bolts from snapping? Or would it just be easier/ cheaper doing what you said. I do have the tools and probably the hardware in my tool box to do this already. Actually now I'm thinking aluminum shock towers might be worse for that, I can see them snapping easier with no give in it and all. That's what I'm trying to do here, make my aftershock strong as possible. Oh and one more thing mines the limited edition, all these parts would still work?

Last edited:
So I want to go ahead and put traxxas style bead proline desperado wheels and badlands on my aftershock. I found a 17 mm conversion kit for a muggy and lst2 on Amain but it says nothing about an aftershock, will it still work? Does anyone know of any that do work? Help please.

I believe the stub axles on the aftershock are a smaller diameter than those on the LST.

You could swap them out for the LST axles. You would need different bearings though and possibly different carriers.

Yeah I think that's the only real way I can go. I saw a kit that swaps a bunch of stuff out to get the lst xxl specs, but it's a $130, plus $20 for the 17 mm hexes, plus the cost of the wheels and tires. So then I'm well over $200, just to put on a certain type of wheel. I'm fine with the 14 mm I just can't find many wheel choices.

Back