after run procedure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybird

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have the tmaxx 3.3 :ponder2: and revo 3.3 :banana: and was wondering how important is it to do the after run procedure to your engine? what happens if u dont do it? if u store it indoors will it be alright without? i hate taking the glow plug wire out because its a pain to get back in. sort of new to the rc hobby. just wondering how important it is.

First off, welcome! Now to your ?? It really depends, if your consistantly run your r/c's about every couple days then your probably safe not dumping in ARO. You may remove the airfilter and drop a few drops down the carb and bump the mill over. Also some fuels claim to have ARO in it or some other fuel additive to help prevent corrosion, but I wouldn't let those sit for long periods either wihtout ARO.

I personally think the after run proceedure is very important. Taking good care of your RC's is worth the extra bit of effort and will help them last longer and extend the life of the engine. Just my two cents. I figure I pay alot of money for these "Toys" I want them to last. I don't get to run mine everyday though, so I always put a few drops of ARO and bump the mill before I store them.

I also have a Tmaxx and here is a tip for taking out and putting back the glow plug wire. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and grasp the glow plug wire down my the coil. Then just simply pull out or push in the wire to the plug. Saves the fingers from getting cut up in the cooling head.

Take care.

Tom

thanks

thanks for the advise. i do use needle nose to pull and replace the wire but the wire gets a little chewed up though. that doesn't matter to much?

I am a firm believer in adding ARO, setting the piston to BDC and making sure all the fuel is out of the rig, even if I know I'm running it the next day. Also, even if a fuel states that I do not need to add ARO, I do, because even though the fuel may contain oil, it also contains nitromethane, which will gum up an engine if allowed to sit too long.

As for the glow plug wire on your rigs, I have a very simple way of making that part much easier on ya:

Scissors.jpg

Yup! Do yourself a favor and whack those glow plug wires! Get a good ignitor and use that instead. Your sanity will last longer! Trust me, I will not be the only one to suggest this, man!

hell yeah, what the monkey said. i'd go one step further and lose the easy start. you will eat up one way bearings with those things and they are just not... "easy". grab yourself a pullstart and a hot shot and save yourself some hassle. i hated carrying that easystarter around even... so bulky. that hotshot is the more expensive one, they have smaller ones, but they dont start as fast or keep a charge as long so... anyway, happy bashing!

Monkey Wrench said:
I am a firm believer in adding ARO, setting the piston to BDC and making sure all the fuel is out of the rig, even if I know I'm running it the next day. Also, even if a fuel states that I do not need to add ARO, I do, because even though the fuel may contain oil, it also contains nitromethane, which will gum up an engine if allowed to sit too long.

As for the glow plug wire on your rigs, I have a very simple way of making that part much easier on ya:

Scissors.jpg

Yup! Do yourself a favor and whack those glow plug wires! Get a good ignitor and use that instead. Your sanity will last longer! Trust me, I will not be the only one to suggest this, man!

Monkey wrench is right about using ARO and seriouslly,cut the glow plug wire off,there not worth the hassle of replacing or worring about.Just pick up a glow igniter and charger,they run around $15 at hobby shops.

dirtybird said:
thanks for the advise. i do use needle nose to pull and replace the wire but the wire gets a little chewed up though. that doesn't matter to much?

Before you do this to much my advice would to take a close size of heat shrink and heat around the connection(make sense?). I still have my ez start on my revo and had a problem with my wire tearing up. The heat shrink should help you as well as it did for me.

MW is correct about the ARO. I think one of the things you hear most on this site time after time is about the ARO and BDC. It is that important!

Last edited:
i've been running my RC's at least every other day and every weekend. I never use ARO, i use sidewinder nitro fuel with aro in it. I've never had a problem and i've put about 9gallons thru my jato. I also LOVE the ez start and would NEVER take it off. That little extra weight is worth the easier starting and LESS BLISTERS from pull starts :D . For me anyway.

Badkitty said:
i've been running my RC's at least every other day and every weekend. I never use ARO, i use sidewinder nitro fuel with aro in it. I've never had a problem and i've put about 9gallons thru my jato. I also LOVE the ez start and would NEVER take it off. That little extra weight is worth the easier starting and LESS BLISTERS from pull starts :D . For me anyway.

I never said to yank the E-Z start totally, just whack the glow ignitor lead. The starter will still work and the pack in the starter "wand" will last longer because it doesn't have to heat the plug up.

As for Sidewinder, it is an excellent fuel and it does state you do not have to add ARO, but in my opinion, I'd rather add a few drops, spin the mill and set the piston at BDC. A few drops of insurance on a $100+ engine is good enough for me.

Speaking from experience, I would highly recommend using ARO. I once had an engine rust out(it sat for a while) due to laziness(lack of care after a run).