AE MMGT renewal "his" MMGT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3MON

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
well as you know a while back me and my now wife put revived an old AE MGT 3.0 as her first Nitro MT, was quite a fun build and excellent teaching truck to put together with her, doing my best to teach her the ins and outs.
i had been tempting looking for another so that we can have the same truck while bashing together, and so happened that a gentleman, @Mr. block had found my build thread and messaged me as he had one that was needing a little bit of work and a new home.
i do want to thank you again for the project!
now as you may or may not know i really love the build/refurbish process of RCs, getting them back to their golden days of blasting around.
initial layout and assessment of parts:
20200226_175824.jpg

installed the radio tray, and putting in the FlySky Receiver to control this little beast! (only say little because i am very used to 1/8 scales lol)
20200226_203135.jpg

slightly torn down, so went through and tore down just a bit more and started getting to work inspecting/ cleaning, it is in quite good condition and other than just a little bit of dust in places is quite clean.
to start off with the main components i started with the heart of the truck, the engine.
20200226_202700.jpg

the engine as expected after sitting for a length of time was pretty locked up, i disassembled the pullstart, backplate, and tore down the head. (my phone ended up not saving the pictures of the pre-cleaning.)
20200226_202705.jpg

was a bit of old nitro fuel gumminess that many know, so went ahead with some alcohol and started letting it soak, the starter shaft was pretty stuck in the backplate so i let that sit in some alcohol for a bit to loosen up.
when the backplate was open, i poured a little alcohol and sloshed it around and was able to get the crank free after minimal work. i was able to get the gunk out of there and cleaned up really well. as luck would have it, very minimal rust had formed and any that did i was able to just brush off with a q-tip. once i was satisfied with how it looked in there, put in a few drops of Marvel mystery oil and spun it a few times making sure to coat all the internals and the piston/sleeve.
engine still has really good compression, not quite pinch anymore, but loads of life left on it.

Next was onto the transmission, reinstalling brake pads, and the 2 speed assembly.
brake pads went on without a hitch, settng the shafts in place and dropping it into the truck was a PITA though.
20200226_215340.jpg

there was a screw that was set in to lock it into 2nd gear so removed that as i plan to stay nitro with it, small block might have a hard time with that, plus i want to get it back to full working order (love hearing that 2nd gear shift!)
20200226_215349.jpg

20200226_222800.jpg

decided to install my Hitec HS646WP for the steering servo, it has enough to pull the wheels around on my 1/8 MGT so should have plenty for this!
as you can see it is really right between the brake disks and the chassis, made it quite a challenge to drop everything into place and get the driveshafts into the drive cups.

got the fuel tank installed, 2 speed put back together mostly (its missing the spring and grub screw for the 2nd gear pawl, so needing to order one.) but its all together.
20200226_214104.jpg

setting up turnbuckle lengths, need to adjust it a bit more though, weird how there is not hexed portion or even a hole to rotate them, just straight smooth links.
Very excited to see the FT steering bellcrank assembly.
20200226_214108.jpg

mostly assembled for now!!!
after assessment and assembly of what is there, very minimal stuff is missing/needing replaced, just the 2 speed pinion, and a bushing for the throttle bellcrank.
was able to get it mocked up enough for a picture next to the ladies!
20200227_011447.jpg

i have since installed the blue beadlocks onto the truck and replaced the ladies with the stock MMGT wheels/tires, weirdly the 40 series pin type are only 20 grams heavier than the stock MMGT setup.
few more areas i need to go through and service/inspect including the diffs, shocks, and i want to get into the transmission assembly. though everything rolls very freely, and i dont see any damp or wet spots on the shock boots, but just out of peace of mind, and i want to put some 10k diff fluid in the diffs.

i have had a blast so far going through this, and hope to keep you guys tuned as i progress on the build/refurbish.

well as you know a while back me and my now wife put revived an old AE MGT 3.0 as her first Nitro MT, was quite a fun build and excellent teaching truck to put together with her, doing my best to teach her the ins and outs.
i had been tempting looking for another so that we can have the same truck while bashing together, and so happened that a gentleman, @Mr. block had found my build thread and messaged me as he had one that was needing a little bit of work and a new home.
i do want to thank you again for the project!
now as you may or may not know i really love the build/refurbish process of RCs, getting them back to their golden days of blasting around.
initial layout and assessment of parts:View attachment 121292
installed the radio tray, and putting in the FlySky Receiver to control this little beast! (only say little because i am very used to 1/8 scales lol)
View attachment 121298
slightly torn down, so went through and tore down just a bit more and started getting to work inspecting/ cleaning, it is in quite good condition and other than just a little bit of dust in places is quite clean.
to start off with the main components i started with the heart of the truck, the engine.
View attachment 121293
the engine as expected after sitting for a length of time was pretty locked up, i disassembled the pullstart, backplate, and tore down the head. (my phone ended up not saving the pictures of the pre-cleaning.)
View attachment 121294
was a bit of old nitro fuel gumminess that many know, so went ahead with some alcohol and started letting it soak, the starter shaft was pretty stuck in the backplate so i let that sit in some alcohol for a bit to loosen up.
when the backplate was open, i poured a little alcohol and sloshed it around and was able to get the crank free after minimal work. i was able to get the gunk out of there and cleaned up really well. as luck would have it, very minimal rust had formed and any that did i was able to just brush off with a q-tip. once i was satisfied with how it looked in there, put in a few drops of Marvel mystery oil and spun it a few times making sure to coat all the internals and the piston/sleeve.
engine still has really good compression, not quite pinch anymore, but loads of life left on it.

Next was onto the transmission, reinstalling brake pads, and the 2 speed assembly.
brake pads went on without a hitch, settng the shafts in place and dropping it into the truck was a PITA though.
View attachment 121295
there was a screw that was set in to lock it into 2nd gear so removed that as i plan to stay nitro with it, small block might have a hard time with that, plus i want to get it back to full working order (love hearing that 2nd gear shift!)
View attachment 121296
View attachment 121297
decided to install my Hitec HS646WP for the steering servo, it has enough to pull the wheels around on my 1/8 MGT so should have plenty for this!
as you can see it is really right between the brake disks and the chassis, made it quite a challenge to drop everything into place and get the driveshafts into the drive cups.

got the fuel tank installed, 2 speed put back together mostly (its missing the spring and grub screw for the 2nd gear pawl, so needing to order one.) but its all together.
View attachment 121299
setting up turnbuckle lengths, need to adjust it a bit more though, weird how there is not hexed portion or even a hole to rotate them, just straight smooth links.
Very excited to see the FT steering bellcrank assembly.
View attachment 121300
mostly assembled for now!!!
after assessment and assembly of what is there, very minimal stuff is missing/needing replaced, just the 2 speed pinion, and a bushing for the throttle bellcrank.
was able to get it mocked up enough for a picture next to the ladies!
View attachment 121301
i have since installed the blue beadlocks onto the truck and replaced the ladies with the stock MMGT wheels/tires, weirdly the 40 series pin type are only 20 grams heavier than the stock MMGT setup.
few more areas i need to go through and service/inspect including the diffs, shocks, and i want to get into the transmission assembly. though everything rolls very freely, and i dont see any damp or wet spots on the shock boots, but just out of peace of mind, and i want to put some 10k diff fluid in the diffs.

i have had a blast so far going through this, and hope to keep you guys tuned as i progress on the build/refurbish.

That makes me want to break mine out ,it hasn't seen day light in almost 10 years!

That should scream with that LRP on it ,lol..... How did you manage to find that engine?....

That makes me want to break mine out ,it hasn't seen day light in almost 10 years!

That should scream with that LRP on it ,lol..... How did you manage to find that engine?....
you definitely should bring it back out! i havent been able to pull out a nitro and really run it in longer than i would like. its just been so cold or too busy when its warm enough.
@Mr. block was kind enough to include it in the parts for the truck, i am very very excited to fire it up! i dont want to run it with no load so i will need to wait for that 2 speed one-way hub. (ordered and should be here by Wed next week!!!) the pawl keeps catching and binding both 1st and 2nd gear together. spurs are way to hard to find for these, so i do not want to risk it idling fast enough and stripping.
this will be my first experience with LRP engines, i know they are SH based so i know they are good, plus all the talk about them back in the day!

you definitely should bring it back out! i havent been able to pull out a nitro and really run it in longer than i would like. its just been so cold or too busy when its warm enough.
@Mr. block was kind enough to include it in the parts for the truck, i am very very excited to fire it up! i dont want to run it with no load so i will need to wait for that 2 speed one-way hub. (ordered and should be here by Wed next week!!!) the pawl keeps catching and binding both 1st and 2nd gear together. spurs are way to hard to find for these, so i do not want to risk it idling fast enough and stripping.
this will be my first experience with LRP engines, i know they are SH based so i know they are good, plus all the talk about them back in the day!

I test ran mine once after the restoration on it ,the stock 18 pushed it pretty fast ,that LRP should be extreme!....:cool:

I test ran mine once after the restoration on it ,the stock 18 pushed it pretty fast ,that LRP should be extreme!....:cool:
yeah the .18 HPI on the Wife's truck really makes that thing haul. still in break in so dont have completely tuned into performance, but thing is very aggressive.
want to try whats on it first but i think one of the first performance mods i wan to do is get a tuned pipe. only problem is with it not being a side pipe is going to be length i am fighting with.
wondering if a pipe for a Revo might be what I'm looking for, open to peoples ideas on this though.
anyone possible have one they can measure overall length for me by any chance?

little bit of progress today, none of it really visual though so didnt take any pictures.

realized when i put on the gears the first gear was on backwards, but also had an old 2 speed hub from my MGT so swapped that spring and steel ball in there, the spring was a bit worse for wear so honestly dont even know if it is going to work, i ended up just tightening it all the way and just gonna lock it into 1st gear until the new piece arrives. might back it back off and see if it will actually work. hopefully gonna be able to test fire it tomorrow.

i found some bushings that will work for the throttle bellcrank. so i was able to get the servo adjusted for that and linkage finalized.
got the engine fitted/CB meshed and ready to go.
got the wire mount for the pipe bent up and modified to fit and hold in place where i would like as well.

i dont plan on running this truck with reverse so i pulled the top plate of a broken servo i have and fitted it to cover the hole that would be left in the radio box (eventually going to fab up something that looks better, but at this point going for function. does also help to give more room in the radio box though). the linkage that came with the truck ended up putting into the wife's truck as she is partial to having reverse.

at this point it is ready to go, just need to have time and access to an area i can run!

I Had one back in the day with a os 18tz and it was a missile. this should be one hell of a ride with that lrp 18. nice truck. good luck with the build

got some footage of the truck and tried my hand at editing a video for real for the first time.
i do appologize as i didnt realize there was going to be such a huge watermark as i didnt want to pay for it yet as i wanted to try it first. but is what it is.
be gentle on the critique of the editing lol, i know i have a LOT of room for improvement.
https://streamable.com/6c48w
(if the link doesn't work definitely let me know, ill try to upload to YT and do it that way.)

Absolutely wicked. Glad to see this thing running again. I hope you enjoy it. I see you are making use of the Maximizer Beadlocks. They were all the rage back in the day when 3.2 tires were a thing.
Looks like everything it's working pretty well. It's good that the motor wasn't too rough. LRP used to me "THE" engine to get when I was into nitro. They are known for awesome power. Either way glad to see everything was mostly there.

Mr. Block

Absolutely wicked. Glad to see this thing running again. I hope you enjoy it. I see you are making use of the Maximizer Beadlocks. They were all the rage back in the day when 3.2 tires were a thing.
Looks like everything it's working pretty well. It's good that the motor wasn't too rough. LRP used to me "THE" engine to get when I was into nitro. They are known for awesome power. Either way glad to see everything was mostly there.

Mr. Block
definitely enjoying it so far, and yes love the maximizers, i remember wanting them for my T-Maxx back in the day! that LRP is a really strong engine, not even tuned in all the way and can already feel its going to fly. really surprised me how fast its going and its still only in first gear!
hoping it warms up so i can take it to a real, proper bash spot instead of just a parking lot, but it was good for a test run!

This thread is making me consider opening my giant box of old Tmaxx parts and putting something together. Pretty sure I have everything I need but the trans and diffs.

This thread is making me consider opening my giant box of old Tmaxx parts and putting something together. Pretty sure I have everything I need but the trans and diffs.
do it!!! haha another reason i make these threads, getting people to consider re-building/get running their old RCs back and ripping up the ground! :)
EDIT: ground, Sky, or water*

Last edited:
welp i feel dumb... somehow managed to order the 2-speed one way hub instead of the 2-speed clutch hub assembly... so another week or so out until i can get that buttoned up.
teaches me to make sure to double check part number instead of name lol.
guess at least it is another wear part so it will be used eventually.
had an idea i want to try though with the truck, i have an RC10GT CF rear shock tower that the curve out to the shocks is about perfect to make bumper braces, and will be super easy to incorporate a wheelie bar. (idea by the wife). if i pursue this will definitely post some pictures!
suffice it to say that very little progress has been made today lol.

new 2 speed hub should be coming in tomorrow!!! hoping it comes in early enough to be able to install and run, but depends on the mail guy. sucks it getting dark at like 6-6:30PM lol
coming in the package is the rear bumper for the wife's MMGT as well.

small update:

kept on running into tuning issues with the little LRP, and so far the only thing i haven't been able to seal, and or replace O-rings etc on was the carb, so i decided to go the same direction as i did on the first MMGT, which was use a slide carb.
being that LRP is just SH engine, grabbed a SH18 slide carb.
i really wasn't a huge fan of the bellcrank system for the throttle, and any slop really affects the precision of closing anyways.

total required items for install of slide carb type linkages for the truck:
1x longer linkage rod to the servo from the carb, one with a threaded end,
1x linkage stopper for the throttle side
drill the servo horn hole out to swap the brake/throttle mounting points
and slight filing in the post area of the RX box.

Carb installed, fit perfectly.
new_carb_6a1f29e3910cd9f91cc30731c12e1f8e5385a441.jpg

new carb installed!

front angle of the new carb installed, attempt #2 at removing the clutchbell, was not able to remove previously.
engine_clutchbell_new_carb_5845e8d5c4aa23accb35fbca77a797b26990d686.jpg

New Carb clutchbell side, CB bearings were seized on the crankshaft
upon teardown, i was finally able to remove the clutchbell, the first time i was not able to remove, was able to use heat this time and came right off, was super happy to see the DPS clutchshoes, really am liking them on my LST.
clutch_shoes__f45a396eef48d271c842d2473af48be1af9d07cc.jpg

welcome surprise to see DPS clutch shoes.

First mock up of the new linkage, with the orignal carb, pulling the carb linkage (to servo) closed the carb, pushing the linkage opened the carb, slide carb would be reverse of that, so i had to flip the brake post.
in this configuration, i would have to really trim the radio box.
linkage1v1_27f6b27b6f3ef6c7f5f27255bf6ef82a2c66b067.jpg

Another angle showing the impact zone:
linkagev1_908dfcb97e2c2abb5e9890bdb4609c50de9514a9.jpg

top view, V1 linkage, severe impact to radio box
reversed the order of the brake and throttle on the servo horn, and was able to get a better angle so it would not be so perpendicular to the radio box. allowed just enough clearance that only slight filing was needed.
linkage1v2_bb6d5b4b549198e6947d0820122dae09fde9a4a1.jpg

Another pic of the linkage
linkagev2_e9a5ecc1e17e7f6db76a9c3a417ab758e3256bec.jpg

was about it really.
hope to run the truck tonight, though might have to be over the weekend.

Back