AE. MGT. runaway & Maint.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL I guess you never heard of fail safe!

To
I just installed the best fail safe there is ,a simple SPRING!
total garbage.! This is 100% better. Stops intently! New Dynamite Fail-Safe Micro DYNR0101 605482292952 | eBay If your radio doesn't have fail safe feature. This would have prevented a runaway from the start. All the spring doses is close the carb. With a fail safe feature if the signal or power is lost you can set the throttle servo to full brake. You can't do that with a spring.o_O

Last edited:
To

total garbage.! This is 100% better. Stops intently! New Dynamite Fail-Safe Micro DYNR0101 605482292952 | eBay If your radio doesn't have fail safe feature. This would have prevented a runaway from the start. All the spring doses is close the carb. With a fail safe feature if the signal or power is lost you can set the throttle servo to full brake. You can't do that with a spring.o_O

It take juice to apply brake ,tell me ,what supplies that & where does the juice comes
from to keep the brakes on?

It
It take juice to apply brake ,tell me ,what supplies that & where does the juice comes
It doesn't come from a spring that doesn't prevent a runaway which causes damage and cost's you money$$$ I always check my battery voltage before running. It has a voltage cut off 4.8 volts.

apparently he didn't watch the video or doesn't understand how RX/TX based fail-safes work.
It

It doesn't come from a spring that doesn't prevent a runaway which causes damage and cost's you money$$$ I always check my battery voltage before running. It has a voltage cut off 4.8 volts.
did you watch the video and see why it happened or just jumped in assuming what happened?
want to take a guess at what powers servos to retun to failsafe position? battery power. want to guess what caused this runaway? a battery came un-seated and open looped the circuit, which, as you guessed it, removes battery power.

Fixing issues that happened to me today while doing a test run!..:cool:

sucks on the runaway glad you are getting it sorted though and glad nothing got damaged! can't wait to see more vids

Last edited:
sucks on the runaway glad you are getting it sorted though and glad nothing got damaged! can't wait to see more vids

I rarely have a runaway ,but when I do ,it is do to battery failure ,weather it be a battery pop out ,or a fast
drain do to a severed servo wire ,or a faulty wire switch ,never a lost signal from the radio gear ,even with
the old AM style!
I just recently started back into the hobby ,but been involved in the RC's for over 20 years ,I am already
hip to those cheap battery holders ,an back then always made sure that they were either taped or zip
tied an secured when I went out on a full day of bashing or doing runs!
I already knew the consiquences of what can happen ,the run vids are simply test & tune an break-in
run ,an I had simply had not yet secured the batt. or installed a return spring yet as it was just put together
with a new engine!
As far as those fail safe go ,I dont trust them ,they will still fail when their power supply is cut ,I rely on a
more of mechanical spring to throttle the carb down to idle ,it works with lost of power ,in which I will
more than likely have that issue way before I would lose a signal in which is rare that to happen to me!
My radio I think has the fail safe option ,I just have to program it in ,but dont want the hassle with it
because like I said ,I dont have loss of signal issues ,it is rare!...:cool:

Dry cell battery holders the worst for nitro. Fm or 2.4 is better. less interference and a fail safe is better than nothing to prevent a runaway. Am and Fm radios don't have fail safe feature unless its a computer type radio. Worst thing could happen is the rx crystal fall out and you watch you rc go bye bye. No spring will save you if that happens. Broken or damaged wires are from you constantly removing the battery holder changing the batteries. you are that problem . A fail safe could prevent any run away. Its not just for signal loss. It works with low voltage too. Don't use dry cell batteries for rx in nitro. Get a rechargeable rx battery. Then you won't have issues with broken wires. I have never had issues once I started using fail safe. They do what they are suppose to do . Prevent a runaway.

Last edited:
I rarely have a runaway ,but when I do ,it is do to battery failure ,weather it be a battery pop out ,or a fast
drain do to a severed servo wire ,or a faulty wire switch ,never a lost signal from the radio gear ,even with
the old AM style!
I just recently started back into the hobby ,but been involved in the RC's for over 20 years ,I am already
hip to those cheap battery holders ,an back then always made sure that they were either taped or zip
tied an secured when I went out on a full day of bashing or doing runs!
I already knew the consiquences of what can happen ,the run vids are simply test & tune an break-in
run ,an I had simply had not yet secured the batt. or installed a return spring yet as it was just put together
with a new engine!
As far as those fail safe go ,I dont trust them ,they will still fail when their power supply is cut ,I rely on a
more of mechanical spring to throttle the carb down to idle ,it works with lost of power ,in which I will
more than likely have that issue way before I would lose a signal in which is rare that to happen to me!
My radio I think has the fail safe option ,I just have to program it in ,but dont want the hassle with it
because like I said ,I dont have loss of signal issues ,it is rare!...:cool:
yup, i used to have a velcro strap just for the AA battery holders in my MGT, but am guilt of not always putting it on, mostly just for test runs to make sure everything is in order. i have slowly been trying to move to the NiMh battery packs as i go, but definitely gets expensive, and sometimes jsut swapping AAs in the holder is quicker than waiting for a pack to charge up.
i personally do both, set up the Failsafe and do the spring. had to many times of power loss from a bad switch or something so runaway even with a failsafe on the RX/TX.