[Advice Savage X4.6] Clutch Bell Bearings Longevity

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipmode

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I had a set already gernade, it seemed premature but I am positive the backlash was set improperly from the factory which in turn being new to the hobby I did not know it should have been checked before the first run. It went about 5 tanks of fuel before they were adjusted (it was too tight) and after another 5 tanks they exploded.

So the question is if set properly approx. how long do these suckers last?
I realize it may be hard to nail it down due to driving conditions etc but is this something I should have an extra set around at all times?

I wouldn't say you need a set on hand at all times but it doesn't hurt and they are inexpensive. They should last for quite a while,I got a couple of gallons on my set now. Not just the mesh on the spur gear but also the side play on the crank will effect their life span. There must be a small amount of side play to allow for expansion when heated and operating as well as the slight clearance with the spur gear.

i have an original savage 25 and have never changed mine
all i have changed is the clutch bell to a vented one and have never had a problem

HPI is sending a new set, I called the shop and they said $2.40 each so I think I will pick up a set from the store instead of waiting and when the extra set comes I will have it on hand just incase.

Thanks