Adding a FPV cam to RC car (not drone)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been toying with a gopro hero session that wifis to my phone and that's been fun. I like the idea and I am slow and steady so that helps since there is .5 sec lag time but I would like to jump a little deeper with actual fpv stuff.

Screenshot_20231118_141550_GoPro Quik.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_141649_GoPro Quik.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_141710_GoPro Quik.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_143009_GoPro Quik.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_185354_GoPro Quik.jpg

FPV is great, but the more money you throw at it, the better it is. Getting a really good set of goggles and decent electronics can make a big difference. I've been out of it so long I don't have a clue what's good anymore. But back when I was into it, Fat Shark and Skyzone were the two best brands of goggles. And they were around $450-$600 or so for the really good ones. Aside from that, a quality VTX and camera would give you low latency with a strong signal, and quality video. I had close to $600 in my race drone, and had yet to buy the goggles when I had to get out of it due to becoming disabled and being broke for a couple years.

There is a guy named FPVFutures on YT. He is a bit like the Kevin Talbot of FPV racing. He does a lot of product reviews and shows the latest and greatest stuff. Probably paid to do so, but it's a start. But if you at least start there, he has a Discord channel with a plethora of FPV experts hanging out there all the time. You can pick their brains til your heart's content. A guy I met there actually helped me build my drone and showed me how to use Beta Flight, Open Tx, etc.

I have an older fat shark headset I used when I first started playing with racing drones. They worked great but none of the cool head tracking features that the newer stuff has. I also have a cheap eachine headset I got from banggood that work just as well as the fat shark stuff for 1/4 of the price, just a bit more bulky.

Back