AC's Speed Test Site

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Located a suitable site close to home. Industrial area. Low to no traffic on weekends. No residential homes, dogs or kids to concern over. Good surface-not too smooth; not too rough. Straight and level. Bit of a crown takes only a touch of ST trim to get a straight run.

Attached image shows Rusty pointed downrange to run end at the blue/white sign in the distance. Stepped off a distance of 66paces, roughly 132ft start to finish.

Made a number of runs with the R1E project car today. SkyRC GNSS recorded a peak speed of 29mph. Passes made in each direction, so calling them official baseline runs. Best speed Rusty ever put down as a bracket truck in RC drag racing was 31.5mph. Knocking at the door of that PB already. Going up two teeth on the pinion for next time.

Driving at speed is a perishable skill-especially getting straight runs. Next session will adjust D/R taking out some steering speed. Been years since doing this. Take a couple of sessions to get back in the groove. So not too unhappy the speed is low. Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20211114_141456_A4 Site resize.jpg
    20211114_141456_A4 Site resize.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Nice spot, and Rustler, what electronics are you using in it?

Hey pug. Thanks.

Power unit is a 2s x 4600 60C LiPo Shorty pushing 8.4v power through a XR10 Pro ESC to V10 17.5 sensored brushless motor.

Radio system is an Airtronics/Sanwa MX-V linking to a ProTec 100T steering servo.

Attachments

• 20211106_155010_R1E resize1.jpg
    20211106_155010_R1E resize1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 55
Made it out to the geometris site today for a set of runs. Sharon went along as a spotter.

R1E laid down an official personal best speed of 33mph. That after a gearing change up to 24/78//3.25 and swapping in a fresh 2s x 4600 HV Shorty. Fastest that little bracket racer has ever gone. There's more in her too. Had an 'unofficial' data recording of 34.6mph, but best 'official' on the screen was 33mph.

Takes a while for her to wind up to speed. Next session I'll do a radio range check before doing any runs. Gonna have to run her out more than 132ft with 27/78//2.89 she'll get for next session.

Used Ray-O-Vac rechargeables in the radio for the first time. Starting voltage for the 4xpack was 5.6v. End voltage was 5.4v. Don't think the wall charger I'm using is peaking them. Gonna try my DuraTrax RC charger and a 4x radio cube to see if I can get the voltage up to 1.5 on them for next time.

Great fun feeling my way again going straight. Site I'm using has a gradient crown on it for rain draining. Took a while making 60% power passes to get the trim set. Cheers, mates. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20211205_142652_speed2 resize.jpg
    20211205_142652_speed2 resize.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20211205_142119_speed2 resize2.jpg
    20211205_142119_speed2 resize2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 48
Thanks, Greywolf. It's Rusty's PB. Mine is 82mph. From back in the day with the R4E Top Fuel Electric. Take a while to work up to that with this combo. . .
I'll keep pecking away it thought. Cheers. 'AC'

Thanks, Greywolf. It's Rusty's PB. Mine is 82mph. From back in the day with the R4E Top Fuel Electric. Take a while to work up to that with this combo. . .
I'll keep pecking away it thought. Cheers. 'AC'
lol, well thats actually what I meant. PB with that rig :)

You know, Wolf, thinking you were right the first time in recognizing the PB. Resetting my PB to track along with Rusty's new numbers. Like starting all over again.

Looking to one more session prior to the holiday to set the speed baseline. Intent was to retire Rusty to the glory shelf after she got her PB. Now a return to the project bench is in order. I'd like to see what this home brew CF chassis will give.

Remember the 'White Racing' aluminum chassis for the Rustler? Had one in gold anodize and planned on building a tethered rocket car using Rustler components. Shame, that chassis got away from me however that happens. Anyway, cheers. 'AC'

You know, Wolf, thinking you were right the first time in recognizing the PB. Resetting my PB to track along with Rusty's new numbers. Like starting all over again.

Looking to one more session prior to the holiday to set the speed baseline. Intent was to retire Rusty to the glory shelf after she got her PB. Now a return to the project bench is in order. I'd like to see what this home brew CF chassis will give.

Remember the 'White Racing' aluminum chassis for the Rustler? Had one in gold anodize and planned on building a tethered rocket car using Rustler components. Shame, that chassis got away from me however that happens. Anyway, cheers. 'AC'
You can set an all time PB with a Rusty. They are capable of 100+mph if modded right.

I dont recall that chassis actually. Ill have to google it.

Last of the three-run series planned for the 17.5/2s power unit in the R1E chassis. Best speed I could accomplish was 35.67mph. Not much of an improvement over the last run session. Think she's peaked with current set-up. Which is o.k.

That and I was pitting out of the back of the Kia Sportage. Not much more space than a package shelf for pit work. And, of course, the 1/16in hex driver missed the load out so could not effect a pinion change on site.

Took time to measure the crown at 2deg. Elevation change measurements were inconclusive. The GNSS speed meter would not settle on a specific figure-although it seemed to want to dwell on 124ft elevation each end of the run. Acceptably flat for my purposes for now.

Must have picked the right spot for speed runs. Was about to begin my session when three Mustangs showed up. One doing skid pad donuts-checking out drift changes, I guess. The other two laying down burn outs. Put me in the mind of the good old days sixty years ago when I was young and wild. Anyway, after a while they moved on.

Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20211219_150810_Sportage resize.jpg
    20211219_150810_Sportage resize.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211219_145150_protractor resize.jpg
    20211219_145150_protractor resize.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 45
Must have picked the right spot for speed runs. Was about to begin my session when three Mustangs showed up. One doing skid pad donuts-checking out drift changes, I guess. The other two laying down burn outs. Put me in the mind of the good old days sixty years ago when I was young and wild. Anyway, after a while they moved on.

Cheers. 'AC'
I'm pushin 50 and I still get out there an tear it up with some of my Mopar buddies. you're only as old as a you feel ;)

Back