AC's Axial SMT10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys. She's bone stock except I left off the track bar to run as a Trigger King Outlaw Retro [with waiver-she's a 4-link]. Body cutaway for the scale cage was more than I cared to take on. Not sure I'll do that again. It came out o.k. Thanks for looking in. Regards. 'AC'

I love how you left the top of the bed clear! I am ####### stealing that idear if I do up a monster truck body bro! Love it.

I love how you left the top of the bed clear! I am ####### stealing that idear if I do up a monster truck body bro! Love it.
Thanks. Go for it, Kevin. Clear was the only way I could figure to depict the open cage area prevalent in 1:1 monster trucks and still maintain body integrity and body post location.

Some MT's even run sans tailgate and thought about leaving that area clear as well. Eventually, though, do want 'Chevrolet' sticker for the tailgate. Opted for paint there.

Looking forward to a MT build out of you and Brandon's RC shop. Bet it'll be killer. Cheers. 'AC'

Hey RC guys and gals,
Finished stickering up the SMT10 today. Stickers came from MCI/Canada. MCI offers a custom sticker build option, so I exercised that with 'Plain Vanilla.'
Kept the stickering simple for this build.

Some personal thoughts (optional read): First racecar I ever saw up close and personal was a flathead powered bucket-T roadster. All white carrying the 'Plain Vanilla' logo on its side. That was Fall 1960. Just got my drivers learners permit and rode my Cushman motor scooter to the race. Seeing that car has stuck with ever since. Happy now I can kinda return the favor.

Cheers and Regards. 'AC'

20220925_133312_resize RCT.jpg

20220925_133404_resize RCT.jpg

Took 'Plain Vanilla' out today for a road test to adjust trim and end point settings. Then set about a track test in the back yard. Checked her out on a pair of #2 ramps and rumble strips. Threw in a #4 ramp for grins. Track check A.O.K. She be ready for an event.

Body torques to the right a lot. Not unexpected since I am not running track bars either front or rear. Swapped out the Rt RR soft spring for a medium spring and dialed back throttle EPA from 100 to 90. Still have some body torque, but acceptable. Trying to stay within the Trigger King rules package and it does not allow for track bars in Outlaw Retro class.

Enjoy. Cheers, mates. 'AC'

20221004_084453_resize RCT.jpg

Last edited:
SMT10 ran its first backyard MT event today. Here's a pit shot of her cooling off after the track session in preparation for the 90sec freestyle. Track is styled after a Trigger King event back 2017. Freestyle something simple I cooked up.

Surprised me how nimble the truck is. And a bit top heavy as I DNF'd it twice. Turned it turtle coming off the side rumble strips.

Curious thing. Yesterday after changing out the stock right rear spring for a stiffer one, went back and changed the right side shock oil from 30W Axial to 35W Losi. After bleeding the shocks they went hydraulic on me. Only got about half travel out of them. Hmm.

Shocks have the kit standard two-hole piston in the shock. Thinking with the change to a heavier CST, they now need three-hole pistons to pass the more viscous oil. I cheated and lowered the fluid level in shock down ~3/8in (9mm). That gave a cushion of air between the oil and the shock bladder to compress and allow more shock travel. Wanted a quick fix to see if the heavier oil would help more in reducing body roll. Which it did.

20221005_145932_resize RCT.jpg

Shelf Queen and rug runner now. Did a photo shoot to consign it to a local hobby shop for sale. Had a change of heart.

Looking into the expense and effort it would take to upgrade it to a serious solid axle MT, decided against it. On the shelf she goes.

Last edited:
Back