? about the Savage engine mount - motor plate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got my XL roller in and the new motor was right behing it. I realized the engine mount I got off ebay wasn't going to make it in time for the weekend. I got lucky and found one at a LHS I never go to. When the ebay one showed up in the mail it had the motor plate and braces attached to the engine mount. So that's what got me wondering about the purpose of the plate. Was it designed as a seperate peice for a reason? Easier removal so you don't need to set the mesh up on the gear each time. Six screws for the plate or the 4 in the mount itself?.?.?.? Is this the same way the other Savages are designed? Thoughts? Comments?

i'm not sure how it is on the XL but the motor plate on a non-xl also connects to the rear of the tranny with two small screws. Its much easier to just pull the 4 lower screws that bolt the engine mount to the engine plate and just reset your mesh after instead of pulling the braces and tranny screws. It would probably be fairly hard to get the assembly out as well.

HPI has some neat ideas like the differential removals. Was wondering if this was something similar. I think I would prefere the 4 on the engine mount below also. The XL does have the two inside screws also. So far I've only had to take the front differential out. Lost a couple teeth on the front 13t bevel gear. First times always the toughest tearing into a new rc. Almost got online to see what the trick was to get the front housing back on. Small rubber hammer stopped me from needing to post that question.

if you decide you want to get the strongest diffs available for your truck, bada$$_savage on savage-central and set you up with some drop in CEN diffs. For the front and rear diffs complete in bulkheads i paid 140 shipped.

Thanks for the tip. I got a new bevel coming and will give it another chance. Even if I don't have to many more differential problems they sound like a nice upgrade for at least a little piece of mind.

Don't know if the previous owner had this xl setup to not hard brake. There's not much worse you can do to a front differential then locking up the brakes at on the street. Felt like I was fixing front differential weekly on the g3r and emaxx (even the beefed up ones) until I stopped hard braking. Haven't had to open one of them up since last summer.

Back