a few questions about HPI Savage truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mtx1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is there a new rtr to hit the market, tower stop selling a few rtr I seen? 4.6 in a 25 is that ok on the gears, drivetrain etc? All so how is the exceed madbeast clone of a savage?

The newer 4.6 has some new upgrades like bullet proof diffs and diff parts to name a few. Also it's 2.4 ghz as well. Also anyone on here will tell you buyer beware with the exceed/redcat brands of rc for numerous reasons. Right out of the box you get a 2 year warrenty, a lot of aftermarket support, 95% of hobby shops stock HPI parts and for a little more, you're getting a lot more truck.

I am new to the hobby and I have never owned a monster truck by Exceed, but I have owned the Exceed Forza .18 buggy. I encourage you to take the great advice from SRUSINEK. The Exceed buggy I own, as many like me that have owned Exceed/Madcat products, was an absolute disaster.

I bought the Forza because it was cheap and I figured that I could get my feet wet in the hobby and if it was a bad purchase, I could just upgrade it little by little and learn. What actually happened is I purchased the Forza and could not keep it from part failures. I was conservative and careful with the RC. I followed all the instructions and rarely put stress on the kit, but I struggled to keep it running. The engine was solid for the price and I rarely had issue with it. It was everything else that was fundamentally flawed.

Look, I learned that you want your first RC to be solid out of the box. Find a kit that is RTR, has great support (parts and customer relations), and a reputation of dependability. I think the HPI Savage line is a great place to start your research, but it doesn't have to be the end. Be patient. Pay a hundred more for a reputable RC model and brand and you WILL NOT regret it. I paid more to just keep the wheels on the road with my Exceed RC in just weeks of owning it than I would have if I just bought a solid RTR Savage X 4.6 or a Hyper 7 (I do not own a Hyper 7, but I have seen countless videos and have done much research--- those things are solid and start at around $300).

Watch some videos on YouTube by Nitro Nerds. They have a GREAT catalog of videos to view that are perfect for beginners. They also have a Hyper 7 and have videos showing its strength. I have spoken with Nitro Nerds and they attest to the Hyper 7's dependable reputation.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a better experience into the hobby than I did. Learn from my mistakes! :)

I am new to the hobby and I have never owned a monster truck by Exceed, but I have owned the Exceed Forza .18 buggy. I encourage you to take the great advice from SRUSINEK. The Exceed buggy I own, as many like me that have owned Exceed/Madcat products, was an absolute disaster.

I bought the Forza because it was cheap and I figured that I could get my feet wet in the hobby and if it was a bad purchase, I could just upgrade it little by little and learn. What actually happened is I purchased the Forza and could not keep it from part failures. I was conservative and careful with the RC. I followed all the instructions and rarely put stress on the kit, but I struggled to keep it running. The engine was solid for the price and I rarely had issue with it. It was everything else that was fundamentally flawed.

Look, I learned that you want your first RC to be solid out of the box. Find a kit that is RTR, has great support (parts and customer relations), and a reputation of dependability. I think the HPI Savage line is a great place to start your research, but it doesn't have to be the end. Be patient. Pay a hundred more for a reputable RC model and brand and you WILL NOT regret it. I paid more to just keep the wheels on the road with my Exceed RC in just weeks of owning it than I would have if I just bought a solid RTR Savage X 4.6 or a Hyper 7 (I do not own a Hyper 7, but I have seen countless videos and have done much research--- those things are solid and start at around $300).

Watch some videos on YouTube by Nitro Nerds. They have a GREAT catalog of videos to view that are perfect for beginners. They also have a Hyper 7 and have videos showing its strength. I have spoken with Nitro Nerds and they attest to the Hyper 7's dependable reputation.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a better experience into the hobby than I did. Learn from my mistakes! :)
I have been in to rc cars for years i just wanted to get something cheap mess around. See these cheapo ones have some issues and i know what they are. You are better off with a single speed and all the grub screws back out and for a first time user its not good to buy cheap. I been at this for a long time so i can handle the issues one might have with there rc. I never ever race a cheapo rc nor do i bash a race rc. I still am looking for a few more rc to get i still have my t maxx and my sc10g but the weather is so cold to run my rc .

I have been in to rc cars for years i just wanted to get something cheap mess around. See these cheapo ones have some issues and i know what they are. You are better off with a single speed and all the grub screws back out and for a first time user its not good to buy cheap. I been at this for a long time so i can handle the issues one might have with there rc. I never ever race a cheapo rc nor do i bash a race rc. I still am looking for a few more rc to get i still have my t maxx and my sc10g but the weather is so cold to run my rc .

I do not know why I assumed you were new to the hobby and I offer my apology if I offended you. I made an assumption and I meant nothing by it.

I think if you are willing to upgrade the cheaper line of RC trucks, then it can be a great learning experience for anyone. Please let us know if you get the truck and a full review. I am interested in how it compares to other trucks you own or have owned.

Back