4wd to 2wd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameron

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all
sorry if this has already been asked, I've got a 1/8 caster racing electric truggy, i brought it on december 10th or around that time, but the front diff was messed when i got it and I've had a new one on order since then, the shops been a nightmare with my order ect but to cut a long story short, i havent driven it since i brought it and i dont think it be here for a few weeks, so i was wondering, if i take the front drive shaft from the centre diff to the front diff out, could i drive the car as a 2wdtill my new diff comes.I'm not bothered about handling being affected etc i just want to drive it. would that work or is it more complicated than that.

Not a good idea. It was made for 4WD. It won't handle well and will also run the risk of blowing out your rear diff from the added strain.

If you absolutely must run it, remove the front outer driveshafts/dogbones instead. If you just remove the front driveshaft the car will handle like absolute crap, because the diff will still be in play even when free-wheeling. Not that I know this from experience....lol

what do you mean by 'would handle like crap'. I'm only a basher, i just drive it around a field so I'm not really worried about handling. I probably should of said, I've also got a rear diff on its way so I'm not too worried about that dying either as the new ones are strengthened.

short answer...yes you can but be prepared for anything that may end up breaking. the center diff is there to evenly spread power to the wheels that are getting more traction. I think you would be better off to remove the axles that go from the front diff to the wheels

The problem I've got is that its the pinion gear in the front diff thats messed so i can't remove just the drive axles from the diff to the wheels because the main problem with the diff would still be there

If the buggy/truggy has a center diff, you would have to almost lock the cd to get any power to the rear wheels. Otherwise you wouldn’t go anywhere; the cd will send the power to the wheels with the least resistance which would be the front.

Not a good idea to run any rc with a cd as 2 wd.