3 Speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm fixing to drop a 3 speed into my t. I was thinking of slapping an 18 or 16 tooth clutch bell in there too vs the 22 tooth bell I have now to give me better low end and the 3rd gear will take care of the high end. Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited:
you cnat use stock clutch bells with 3 speed.they are a double gaer bell.

Youll rip the poop out of it in the dirt, the 3 speed is designed for the street. The gearing also requires much smaller tires.

I think this one uses the stock bell, at least the pics do not show the clutch bell I was thinking it would have. Looks like everything is internal.

jezz nice close up pics of the install there

Very nice, I always thought the T-Maxx would get a 3 speed tranny.

Now, that is fast...I thought I had a fast T...that one makes mine look like it is standing still. Wait a minute, mine is standing still or should I say resting comfortably on it's field box. :cheerful:

I'll stick with my two speed, until I come across a need for more speed than I already have. I've heard that the 3 speed is not so good for off roading; at least that is what everyone told me when I posed the same question about four months ago.

From the looks of it, Matts, the fuel tank is mounted further back on the chassis plate, and the engine mounts may also be moved back a little. Check the pictures at the RAD RC site that Eddy posted earlier in the thread.

Originally posted by matts6887
One thing I'm kinda wondering though is how there is suppose to be enough clearance in the area of the trans case where the spur goes which in the pic looks like where the extra gears for the 3rd gear are located. Because with the way its setup normally, I thought maybe that it might hit something in front of it.
Crap, now I am gonna have to remount my throttle servo.

Yeah, tell me about it. I just cut down my throttle and brake linkages for the XTM chassis.