3 speed setup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey people

so i picked up a 3 speed kit for my truck it was old stock so ordered the high speed gear kit for a grand total of £34 for the upgrade

what gear ratio would you guys recommend as i can't seem to get it to shift reliably

i'm using wheels that are around the same size as the hpi goliaths but with a wide off set and are wider are about an inch wider than the terrapins
engine is a mac star .28 turbo plug 35000 RPM max

my current is 20/47 but i'm changing that now

i have a 47t 49t and 52t spur gears
i have 13t 14t 17t 19t and 20t clutch bells I can't use the 13t or 14t clutch bells even with the 52t spur as it rubs on the dual fiber disk brakes

I'm going to drop down to a 17t bell but can't decide between 47t or 49t spur but would like some input from someone that has experience with the 3 speed

i found the base settings for it
2nd gear. full in. then 4 1/2 turns out.
3rd gear. full in. then 3 turns out.

The base settings are like needle settings, a good starting point. When you know you have a good tune on the engine you'll have to tweak each shift to get it where you like it. Just work on shifting to second, and when that's just where you want it start adjusting the shift to third.

The base settings are like needle settings, a good starting point. When you know you have a good tune on the engine you'll have to tweak each shift to get it where you like it. Just work on shifting to second, and when that's just where you want it start adjusting the shift to third.

good point I'm going to lock 3rd and get second sorted will set that to the same as i had the two speed and go from there, i think i was geared too high too so i'm going to go with 47/17

I would put 49/17 in it. I run 47/16 on my X with large tires and a .28. It is a 2 speed though.

i think i have got it set up

i ended up using my drill and locking the 3 speed assembly to it, the drill maxes out at 3000RPM but was enough to get a baseline so i know both are engaging

made some passes earlier and have been getting it dialed in, didn't get a chance to run it after the final adjustments i made but i think it should be roughly how i want it now

i also changed from the huge heavy ofna titan wheels back to my terrapins, thats made a difference in acceleration since they are lighter so less mass to rotate (high resistance in grass)
the terrapins are larger in diameter by around 10-15mm but the titans are around 50% wider with a huge offset and 1 wheel weights almost the same as 2 terrapins

once i dial it in i will post my settings on the gears, etc may come in handy for someone

Back