3.3 not staying running

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggalo Racing 73

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
So my 3.3 won't stay running,, have completely retuned the carb and all,,,, sadly I hear a strange noise from the engine,, I think I might have sucked in a small rock last time I changed out plugs,, it starts but will only run a few seconds before it dies,,not a big deal really these Traxxas engines are super easy to rebuild,, thinking about buying a couple of more engines just to have on hand

The 3.3 is notorious for blowing its rear bearing, might be worth checking -

It's hard to say, but i would disassemble the engine and check, or at least remove cooling head to check piston and cylinder. If it was making strange sound maybe rear bearing is bad. Next time run with air filter

Engine is quite loud when working, funny you can hear something is wrong.
Always check glow plug surrounding area before removing a glow plug.
Call me paranoid, but this is my way of removing a plug, and I strictly stick to these steps.

1. I always have a can of air, or I will turn on the air compressor and blow around the glow plug area, even if it looks clean.
2. hold the car upside down in one hand, and undo the glow plug with the other.
3. While still holding upside down, use soft cloth or toilet paper, insert it in the glow plug area (not inside the cylinder), then with nose pliers give it a few turns. This makes sure area is absolutely spotless.

Do this, even though a pain, and you will never have dirt falling into the engine.

Ever get this worked out? 3.3’s are pretty simple and easy to rebuild.

I also try to keep a can of compressed air to blow out the glow plug area before I pull the existing one.

I also try to keep a can of compressed air to blow out the glow plug area before I pull the existing one.
It was that large rear bearing,, it is very rough feeling when you spin it
It's hard to say, but i would disassemble the engine and check, or at least remove cooling head to check piston and cylinder. If it was making strange sound maybe rear bearing is bad. Next time run with air filter
I always run a clean air filter,, it was the rear bearing

I have an air compressor that I blow everything down with
Engine is quite loud when working, funny you can hear something is wrong.
Always check glow plug surrounding area before removing a glow plug.
Call me paranoid, but this is my way of removing a plug, and I strictly stick to these steps.

1. I always have a can of air, or I will turn on the air compressor and blow around the glow plug area, even if it looks clean.
2. hold the car upside down in one hand, and undo the glow plug with the other.
3. While still holding upside down, use soft cloth or toilet paper, insert it in the glow plug area (not inside the cylinder), then with nose pliers give it a few turns. This makes sure area is absolutely spotless.

Do this, even though a pain, and you will never have dirt falling into the engine.
It was the rear bearing,, I thought it might have been a rock but is sure wasn't, I use an air compressor to blow everything out
So my 3.3 won't stay running,, have completely retuned the carb and all,,,, sadly I hear a strange noise from the engine,, I think I might have sucked in a small rock last time I changed out plugs,, it starts but will only run a few seconds before it dies,,not a big deal really these Traxxas engines are super easy to rebuild,, thinking about buying a couple of more engines just to have on hand
So it was the rear bearing after all it is rough feeling when you spin it so that was the odd noise I was hearing out of the engine,, I now have a spare engine to run

Last edited:
Rear bearing quite often gets all gummed up if RC is stored with no ARO applied.
I find that flushing it with WD40 and working it (stick the engine shaft in a cordless drill) usually does the trick and frees it up quick.

Rear bearing quite often gets all gummed up if RC is stored with no ARO applied.
I find that flushing it with WD40 and working it (stick the engine shaft in a cordless drill) usually does the trick and frees it up quick.
I might give it a shot

It was the Rear Main bearing it had a plastic bearing retainer and it was completely blown out,, I got a set of bearings from Fast Eddy,, I recommend these bearings because they have a metal bearing retainer instead of a plastic one,, I Finally got to bust the truck out today and get some throttle time,, it ran like a champ, very happy with the new bearings and I also want to thank everyone that told me to check the bearings out 1st

Back