3.3 idling really weird

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxx3.3 487

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys. My name is liam and i just got a t-maxx 3.3...My truck is acting strange. when i go to start it up, it creeps forward when it is turning over..then when it finally starts it wont idle, it will coast around even if I'm not on the throttle. if i try to stop it will shut off....i put all of the screws back to factory default and tried everything...there are no air leaks either.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks, Liam O'Rourke

Hey guys. My name is liam and i just got a t-maxx 3.3...My truck is acting strange. when i go to start it up, it creeps forward when it is turning over..then when it finally starts it wont idle, it will coast around even if I'm not on the throttle. if i try to stop it will shut off....i put all of the screws back to factory default and tried everything...there are no air leaks either.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks, Liam O'Rourke
Take your clutch bell off and check your spring. It could be broke. You may need to adjust your slipper clutch too.

If it's creeping forward it's the clutch spring. Remove the engine, take apart the clutch bell assembly and replace the spring. If it's only broken on the end just turn another loop on you spring and put it back on. That will be fine.

Clean the glaze off of the bell and shoes while your in there. Use some fine grit sand paper and lightly rough up the contact surfaces. Check for broken shoes as well.

Thanks guys....i took the housing off and the end of the spring was broken...now i have a tuning question. its bogging pretty bad if i punch it from a dead stop. it will die down then it will get going again after a second or two. any ideas?

Thanks, Liam O'Rourke

hi guys this is my first post so sorry if there is any wrong words used. ever since i have had my t-maxx 3.3 it has not idled properly, iv fiddeled and fiddeled with it for ever but heres the problem: it idels really low when you start it (so low that you have to start it with throttle on) but if you open the gap on the carb then it idles really high and engages the clutch and dies. iv put the HSN back to factory setting but iv just left LSN the same becuase i dont know how to set that one. heres what really annoyes me, if i do manage to get it out onto the street and just warm it up if i break it will just cut out and if i go around a corner it will just cut out

Mikewake - Once your engine is broken it, setting the HSN back to factory settings will result in it being too rich. At this point lean it out some - at least 1/4 turn and then run it and further refine the HSN using engine temperature, smoke produced, engine performance etc. Setting the LSN comes in after the HSN is in the range of where it needs to be set.

Olds97_lss recently provided this advice to someone else and it's very useful.
Read these for some good tuning information:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

More about tuning and explanations of how/why:
http://home.comcast.net/~98gmarquee/...ngTechTips.pdf
http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm
http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/G...g-reading.html

Your engine may have an air leak and there's lots of info on this site concerning checking for and resolving that. However, get your HSN set right before worrying about that.

As far as cutting out when you go around a corner...
If you still have an AM radio, they only work line of sight.
Going around a corner and out of sight isn't a good idea unless you have a failsafe and you're lucky that it hasn't taken off on you.

Going around a corner and out of sight isn't a good idea unless you have a failsafe and you're lucky that it hasn't taken off on you.[/QUOTE]

I think he means turning the truck around and coming back not turning the corner and out of sight.

Going around a corner and out of sight isn't a good idea unless you have a failsafe and you're lucky that it hasn't taken off on you.

I don't know that i agree with that statement. AM radios are not purely line of sight. if that we the case AM radios wouldn't work in a house, and i listen to the Cincinnati Reds all the time. granted the wattage is different, but your transmitter is built to broadcast for miles.

i know they are extensively weaker than FM or SS radios... but to say line of sight only.... :\

guess i'll be testing it out this weekend with my dirt thrasher.

Stouty - Yeah, after I wrote it, I thought about debated your point. Figured that if by corner he meant turning instead of "going around a corner and out of sight" that he could provide specific context and we'd help him along.

mjneid - To your point, I'll agree with you that it's not explicitly line of sight.
However, I have seen funky things occur when an AM controlled vehicle does get out of line of sight - problems that do not occur with an FM or 2.4GHz radio equipped vehicle.
I've seen where going over a simple embankment interfere with and cause poor/intermittent throttle response. With the potential of a runaway, I think it's better safe than sorry. That's one reason why we have or should have failsafes on our vehicles.

Stouty - Yeah, after I wrote it, I thought about debated your point. Figured that if by corner he meant turning instead of "going around a corner and out of sight" that he could provide specific context and we'd help him along.

mjneid - To your point, I'll agree with you that it's not explicitly line of sight.
However, I have seen funky things occur when an AM controlled vehicle does get out of line of sight - problems that do not occur with an FM or 2.4GHz radio equipped vehicle.
I've seen where going over a simple embankment interfere with and cause poor/intermittent throttle response. With the potential of a runaway, I think it's better safe than sorry. That's one reason why we have or should have failsafes on our vehicles.

Yea regardless of the radio system a FS is a darn good investment for >$40.00.

and a throttle return spring is always a good step 2 protection.

sorrry if i wasn't clear enough guys i ment that when I'm waming it up i do a circuit like a sppedway style oval circuit and when i back off the trhottle and onto the brakes it dies. and TGL i have only returned to the factory setting beacuse of the problems i have had. also it struggles to idle at all it just dies straight away if you back off throttle

The carb is closing all of the way when you apply the brakes. Adjust the idle screw so that the vehicle idles when your on the brakes.