2WD and 4WD SCT shock oil weight question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Is it better to have heavier oil in the front or rear for a 2WD SCT? I have always put lighter oil in the front on all my SCT's, but, i read sometimes where, especially on a 2WD, some people tend to use heavier oil in the front. Is there any advantage to that?

What about for a 4WD SCT? I have heard its better to have similar weights front and rear more often than not, but i have also heard it is better to have heavier weight oil in the front, so which is it?

I only ever bash, and never race, so does it still make a difference?

Heavier oil in the front would tend to keep the weight of the vehicle more biased towards the rear on landings and such. So on a 2wd, that kinda helps. With 4wd, heavier oil in the heavier end of the vehicle.

But really, shock and diff oil weight is all personal preference. Everyone drives differently. If your car is too bouncy, lower your spring stiffness and shock oil. If it's too floaty and soft, increase them. I like a heavier shock oil with softer springs on my rigs. You may like the opposite.

Heavier oil in the front would tend to keep the weight of the vehicle more biased towards the rear on landings and such. So on a 2wd, that kinda helps. With 4wd, heavier oil in the heavier end of the vehicle.

But really, shock and diff oil weight is all personal preference. Everyone drives differently. If your car is too bouncy, lower your spring stiffness and shock oil. If it's too floaty and soft, increase them. I like a heavier shock oil with softer springs on my rigs. You may like the opposite.
Might explain why i never was that good at racing, since i tend to use 30WT in the front and 40WT in the rear on a 2WD, and 50WT all the way around on a 4WD. Its the way I've done it for a long time, even on buggies. But, i also never raced RC for much more than something to do. I have the 1:1 cars for being competitive.

Might explain why i never was that good at racing, since i tend to use 30WT in the front and 40WT in the rear on a 2WD, and 50WT all the way around on a 4WD. Its the way I've done it for a long time, even on buggies. But, i also never raced RC for much more than something to do. I have the 1:1 cars for being competitive.
There are a slew of factors that come into play. Nobody can tell you the exact weight to use, just make suggestions based on what they like. If you jump 10' in the air, and someone else goes 20' high, that would take different setups. Weight of car and other things like battery position, weight distribution, etc all factor into the equation. It's best to watch what each corner of your car does turning left, right, starting, stopping, launching, landing. Most people don't pay attention to that.

There are a slew of factors that come into play. Nobody can tell you the exact weight to use, just make suggestions based on what they like. If you jump 10' in the air, and someone else goes 20' high, that would take different setups. Weight of car and other things like battery position, weight distribution, etc all factor into the equation. It's best to watch what each corner of your car does turning left, right, starting, stopping, launching, landing. Most people don't pay attention to that.
Oh, I wasn't asking what weight to use. I was just curious as to why I see a bunch of posts off and on saying use heavier weights in the front. With most of my RC stuff, I don't put much thought into it.

Back