2012 NASCAR Season

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey NASCAR fans out there. What did you guys think about the Bud Shootout on Saturday? I for one am glad to see the two car draft gone and happy that handling has come back into play. A single car can now once again side draft and beat another car without drafting help. It is going to be wild to see how paitient the drivers are going to be now that you can turn a car so easy if your not careful and bump draft into the turns. I am also not a Kyle fan... but that was a piece of driving he put on Saturday night. I will give him that!

Tom

i agree tom
good race and yes Kyle can drive

its just to bad our driver #88 got taken out in the mess
i think he would have been there at the end

i agree tom
good race and yes Kyle can drive

its just to bad our driver #88 got taken out in the mess
i think he would have been there at the end

I think Jr definitely had a car that could have contended for the win. He was up front all race. That's plate racing though. I just hope he has better luck Thursday in Duel's and Sunday in the race and is in a position to content for the win.

I thought it was a fantastic race and the 500 should not dissapoint so long as they can keep it together. I don't like seeing wreck fests at these events but that's just the way it is sometimes. Jamie should be strong as usual at plate races. He was one of the front runners Sat. too

I was so happy to see that two car draft gone! I had stopped watching the superspeedway races for just that reason. After watching the shootout I am really looking forward to the 500 Sunday.

I liked the race, Not a Kyle fan be any means, but the kid can drive a car....He wrecked 4 times and saved it everytime.....

I was so happy to see that two car draft gone! I had stopped watching the superspeedway races for just that reason. After watching the shootout I am really looking forward to the 500 Sunday.

I am looking forward to this as well. I say that now, but will be super pissed if Jr wrecks out early. I just hope he is in a position at the end to challange for the win. Not only does the sport need Jr to win... but so do I! LOL
I am glad the two car draft is history as well. The cars handle like they did 15 years ago and I know the drivers hate pack racing, but from a fan prospective it is the same old Daytona and it is exciting again. I took off early tomorrow so that I could get home and watch the Duels at 2.

Tom

i have nothing against Jr. but I'm curious as why he has such a huge following? is it his last name recognition? if his dad was not who he was, would people still cheer for him? he dominates in fans, and sales of his merchandise, but the guy has not won a cup race since June 15, 2008 at Michigan! do you think he will ever win a cup title?

glad the two car draft is gone! much better racing !
looking forward to the Duels on thursday, and 500 on sunday!

i have nothing against Jr. but I'm curious as why he has such a huge following? is it his last name recognition? if his dad was not who he was, would people still cheer for him? he dominates in fans, and sales of his merchandise, but the guy has not won a cup race since June 15, 2008 at Michigan! do you think he will ever win a cup title?

glad the two car draft is gone! much better racing !
looking forward to the Duels on thursday, and 500 on sunday!

Being a fan of Jr. at least for me has nothing to do with how many races he won. Sure I was a fan of his old man but for me that has nothing to do with it. Jr is real, he is not some cocky pre-madonna going around as if he is entitled to what he has. Jr earned his stripes by racing up through the ranks and not just jumping behind the wheel of a Cup car because of his name. He won 2 national titles in the Nationwide series, back to back. Anyway, I am not going to start a firestorm over this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am cool with that. So your not a Jr fan... I'm not asking you to be. I'm a fan because I'm a fan. Doesn't have to make sense to you or anyone else for that matter. Will he win a championship? Who knows... but it isn't going to change my opinion of him, or my choice to root for him.

Tom

Being a fan of Jr. at least for me has nothing to do with how many races he won. Sure I was a fan of his old man but for me that has nothing to do with it. Jr is real, he is not some cocky pre-madonna going around as if he is entitled to what he has. Jr earned his stripes by racing up through the ranks and not just jumping behind the wheel of a Cup car because of his name. He won 2 national titles in the Nationwide series, back to back. Anyway, I am not going to start a firestorm over this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am cool with that. So your not a Jr fan... I'm not asking you to be. I'm a fan because I'm a fan. Doesn't have to make sense to you or anyone else for that matter. Will he win a championship? Who knows... but it isn't going to change my opinion of him, or my choice to root for him.

Tom

i have to disagree about the "cocky" comment, i was at the concord mall a few years back with a buddy of mine,who's 7 year old daughter was a DIE HARD jr fan, he was standing with a few of his buddies just hanging out i guess,my buddy calls his daughter to tell her that he was standing 30 feet from dale JR, his daughter went nuts and asked her dad to see if Jr would speak to her on the phone, When JR was asked he told my buddy " get that SH*T outta my face, i don't do cell phones" and this was after he told jr it was his 7 year old daughter. To me that makes him cocky and truly an asshat to treat his fans that way, he could have handled it differently just telling the guy "hey i'm sorry i don't do things like that, he wouldn't even sign an autograph for the little girl, I can understand they want free time without getting harassed about autographs and whatnot, but don't hang out at a mall right next to the track where the coca cola 600 is being ran the same weekend, There are other race car drivers who fought their way up just like JR that have no where near the fan base that he does.

Tom

that's cool, and i respect your opinion! wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes just wondering what the draw is for his fan base? his back to back titles were in 98-99 quite sometime ago. he just seems to have a hard time winning in the Cup series! i guess my point was if his last name was Smith, and he came up through the ranks, would he still have the huge following that he does, based on his talent? i wish him the best of luck, and would love to see him win some races this year, or contend for the Cup title !

i'm not a Jr hater, just pickin your brain !

Last edited:
that's cool, and i respect your opinion! wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes just wondering what the draw is for his fan base? his back to back titles were in 98-99 quite sometime ago. he just seems to have a hard time winning in the Cup series! i guess my point was if his last name was Smith, and he came up through the ranks, would he still have the huge following that he does, based on his talent? i wish him the best of luck, and would love to see him win some races this year, or contend for the Cup title !

i'm not a Jr hater, just pickin your brain !

I'm not sore at you my friend... sorry if it came off that way. If his name was Smith... who knows would he have fans... probably. But he did inherit a but load of fans after 2001 no doubt. Jr is a huge Redskins fan as I am as well so that sort of stuff helps. I do not know him personally and if I did, maybe my opinion would be different, but I only get to see what ESPN shows me so I have to settle for that. At least he is concious of his public image, more so than Kurt Busch! LOL

it was nice to see Smoke win it all last year! my favorite driver of all time.....peepee Trickle...i mean come on, how can you not like that guy, when he was still racing ? it's funny how people are drawn to different drivers for their own personal reasons, my wife is a huge Jimmie Johnson fan because she likes the color of his car lol, and hates Jeff gordon

Last edited:
but the guy has not won a cup race since June 15, 2008 at Michigan!

Since when does a racing driver need to win races to deserve a fan base? I'm guessing you don't really believe that, but that line kind of insinuates that sort of stance.

I became a Jamie Mcmurray fan after a 3 minute television interview during speedweeks of 2004, simply because he seems like a real genuine kind of guy. He's got big wins, but has never been in the Chase and will more than likely never win a Cup championship.

At the other end of the spektrum (Formula 1) I became a Jenson Button fan because he also seemed like a real genuine kind of guy and also because he had a reputation for being a smooth driver and I appreciate that tactic of driving. At the time he was driving for the very slow Honda team. Turns out a couple years later he's world champion and has since moved on to one of the most pretigious teams in F1 history, Mclaren.

I don't root for "winners" but I don't mind when they do :)

"Since when does a racing driver need to win races to deserve a fan base? I'm guessing you don't really believe that,"

no i don't, that's what being a race fan is all about, you can cheer for whoever you want to support. my point was that despite that fact the Jr has not won a lot of cup races, he has the largest fan base in Nascar. take any dynasty team from the NFL or the Yankees in MLB or the Lakers in the NBA, people tend to show more support, and buy more stuff of winning teams, yet in Nascar it seems to be more about the person, than the wins! case in point JJ in Nascar. he was not a fan favorite, yet he won 5 straight titles.

you make a good point about Jammie Mac. i always thought he was a good guy, and loved it when he had the Crown Royal logo on his ride !

John force has always been a favorite of mine in the NHRA with 15 titles his last in 2010, he still remains one of my all time drivers.

"Since when does a racing driver need to win races to deserve a fan base? I'm guessing you don't really believe that,"

no i don't, that's what being a race fan is all about, you can cheer for whoever you want to support. my point was that despite that fact the Jr has not won a lot of cup races, he has the largest fan base in Nascar. take any dynasty team from the NFL or the Yankees in MLB or the Lakers in the NBA, people tend to show more support, and buy more stuff of winning teams, yet in Nascar it seems to be more about the person, than the wins! case in point JJ in Nascar. he was not a fan favorite, yet he won 5 straight titles.

you make a good point about Jammie Mac. i always thought he was a good guy, and loved it when he had the Crown Royal logo on his ride !

John force has always been a favorite of mine in the NHRA with 15 titles his last in 2010, he still remains one of my all time drivers.

I absolutely love John Force! That guy is a character and I loved him the first second I saw an interview! I can't stand Jeff Gordon... but even though I am not a fan... I can't find a reason to not like JJ... guy can drive and won 5 straight titles. Gordon used to whine alot when he was younger and being a fan of Sr.... just could like him. Although even Gordon is likeable now.

I absolutely love John Force! That guy is a character and I loved him the first second I saw an interview! I can't stand Jeff Gordon... but even though I am not a fan... I can't find a reason to not like JJ... guy can drive and won 5 straight titles. Gordon used to whine alot when he was younger and being a fan of Sr.... just could like him. Although even Gordon is likeable now.

which is a great analogy to what i'm talking about.... Force has 3 daughters and while they are all hot, and have the fan support of John, because they have the last name of their father! they have not won much of anything, yet they still sell merchandise ! every year i go to BIR for the Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals i see more Force t shirts and merchandise that anyone else. John is true character !

So how many folks stayed home today in hopes of watching the 500 live? I did... but now it doesn't look like they will run the race until tomorrow.... I guess I should have checked the weather before I took off. :\

Daytona postponed until 7pm ET Monday
For the second time, rain has forced NASCAR to postpone the Daytona 500 race at Daytona International Speedway. The Great American Race will now run at 7 p.m. ET Monday night. Television coverage will be on FOX. NASCAR.COM will provide lap-by-lap coverage with RaceView.

Back