2 speed problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_savage

Hardcore RCTalk User
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was running the truck today and i was finally starting to dial in my tune. Then the stupid transmission stops shifting. It would wind out in first so i pulled it in looked it over, and everything looked ok. backed out my set screw a half turn and nothing, another half turn, nothing.

I am fed up with this tranny so i just bought a 3 speed but what gives, anybody hear of this before?

Yep, sometimes the screws that hold the pawl shifter mechanism together back out. They rub the inside of the tranny afterwards.
Also the older 25RTR Savage transmissions had a weak shifter, it was made of al. and would bend.
The newer models are a different design and made of steel.
The 3 -speed is a major PITA IMO, too much trouble to adjust it if you decide to change gearing or install a different size tire.

this is an X so i dunno what the problem could be.

with the tranny that has the removeable top, adjusting the 3 speed is less than a 10 minute ordeal. I like 49/17 and love my wheel and tire combo so i doubt any of that will change soon.

49/17 is a good gearing combo for the Savvy. If i remember correctly you have an aftermarket slipper set-up? You sure you are not experiencing slipper fade from heat build up? Could be the clutch slipping as well. Grease from the clutchbell bearings can wreak havoc on the settings. Most of the time shifting problems are related to the slipper clutch.
Have you opened the tranny to inspect it?

the thing is it was running fine and then it stopped shifting. out of nowhere it would just wind out first. no adjustment would bring it back. All the gears look fine and the slipper is stock and its clamped down all the way. I am running the acer ceramic clutchbell bearings and i use trinity oil on them about every 4th run.

its just annoying that it was working fine and then it stopped.

Its torqued all the way down. Literally no slippage at all. It drives as fast as it does right before it shifts