2.5r won't shift...idles high

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric.evans.718

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought this 2.5r t maxx and it runs but it high idles very high and won't shift...I tried adjusting the idle screw and it didn't do anything...any ideas?

I bought it used...I have no idea if it is fully broken in...I'm a newbie

Still have no luck....I talked to traxxas and they said it's not tuned right and the idle May be to high...well it's tuned to the factory settings and it still does the same thing... It will run just fine for about a minute and then it just won't move and then it'll die and doesn't want to start....I'm frustrated

No I haven't....I didn't think that would have anything to do with it since it will drive for about a min or so and then it will just stop going forward and just rev. Once I get it started again it will do the same thing.

I've had slippers that would "hold" for a few minutes then start giving out. After it sits for a minute, they would hold again.

The slipper is why my T-Maxx 3.3 wouldn't shift. It would for the first few minutes and then it wouldn't, and it would rev high. First thing i checked was the slipper and it was loose. Tightened it down and it runs as it should.

Keep us updated.

-Nitro

Factory settings are not meant for running, but for break-in.
If it moves forward, then stops and revs, either you have a bad clutch or a problem with the slipper. Once it cools down it moves forward again. You might want to pull the clutch bell and check for worn or glazed shoes and bell if the loose slipper is not the problem.
If it's glazed it will slip when it's hot.

I checked the slipper clutch and it's tight....I guess the next step is too check the clutch..

Also when it dies it's hard to start sometimes I just give up because it won't start....idk if the engine gets too hot or what...but next time I'm just going to buy new

One thing at a time. When you've checked the clutch for problems we'll see about the tune. It could be overheating because it's too lean, but we can't determine that if it's sitting still and revving.

Ok sorry it took so long but I finally replaced the clutch and slipper clutch and now it works fine...but now it will just die and won't start...I'm thinking it's getting too hot? Any ideas?

Used engine that runs for a while then dies and is hard to start while hot....It's probably worn out.

I'll reset the needles to factory settings and let you know what happens but I'm leaning towards a worn out engine... Any ideas on a new engine?

Here's a simple way to check if your engine is worn out or not: try rolling the flywheel with one finger and if you can get the motor past top dead center where it gets tight then the motor is toast. You can go a couple of ways for a new motor if you need one. First option is to go through traxxas and turn your motor in (does not need to be complete so strip for parts) and get a new motor on the cheap. Second option is to get an os .18 which is a great engine. Third option is to go big block which means .25 or higher. If you go big block then you'll more than likely need to upgrade the drivetrain. Since you're new to the hobby I would get a new traxxas engine and go from there. This way it's a direct drop in, there's no mods to do to get it to fit and an aftermarket engine can be tough to install if you're new. Also traxxas motors are not expensive and since you're new to tuning, if you mess it up on accident then you're not out a lot of coin. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well it must not be worn out because when I replaced the clutch in it I had the engine off and I had to use 2 fingers to turn the flywheel

Ok I just tuned it back to factory settings ran like a raped ape for a couple minutes and then died and it wouldn't start back up