2.5 sat for years w gas in it

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knall

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just "aquired" a tmaxx 2.5 in pretty nice shape. It was saposedly running just fine when the previous owner put it away.

Heres the problem.... he left gas in it, and that was years ago.

There was about an inch of solid blue goo in the tank (got a new tank)

the fuel feed line was plugged solid (cleaned the hose)

Its the old style carb, the linkage moves freely, and the motor turns.

How should I go about trying to CLEAN THE CARB? I am sure its all plugged up. Is it ok to soak it in carb cleaner ect or are there rubber and plastic components inside that will melt?

Thanks all!!!

OH BTW to change frequencies....... I just gotta swap the crystal in the radio AND receiver right? ( its on the same frequency as my 3.3)

First thing I would try on the carb is to soak it in fresh fuel. I would probably also pull the backplate on the engine so you can clean the inside as well.

Swap the crystals and you should be fine.

If it sat with fuel, I would flush it with fresh fuel but don't start it. When fuel is left to sit in the engine crankcase, the nitro evaporates leaving the oil to gum up the engine.I would look for rust....

just take the engine apart, clean everything, replace fuel lines and glow plug then go. IMO

i agree w/ brad-if your not gonna run it after cleaning then throw some after run oil in it-b/c I'm gonna assume theres some surface rust in the engine-the best bet is to tear down the motor and clean it-inspect those internal bearings cause if there rusty they can be hard to get back into shape-clean the carb w/o any rubber parts on it cause carb cleaner will make them hard and brittle. re-assemble it w/ fresh fuel line and a filter. seal that back plate w/ just a little black or orange rtv silicone. now bash it.