2.5 goes dead after running five minutes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilREd12

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a 2.5R and it starts and idels. After you drive it around for about five minutes it want idel. Can someone please help. I am new to the sport and do not know much about it.

I have a 2.5R and it starts and idels. After you drive it around for about five minutes it want idel. Can someone please help. I am new to the sport and do not know much about it.

increase your idle speed???

It has had about 12 tanks ran through it.

I had a 2.5 doing the same thing but would also be really had to restart till it cooled done a bit, ended up being low compression, put in new piston an bore and has been fine since, obviously check fuel system first for blockages and contamination, if it turns out to be a compression issue after so few tanks of fuel you have probably run to lean/hot.

tune at half a tank it tendes to lean out as it gets empty I ran into that problem when I first started

hey rolex dont mean to steal the thread but if hes not guna answer ill go. Mine is doing the same thing from cold starts right up then about 5min runnin it gets up ta 300+ and is veary hard to start again untill it gets down under 200 or so then starts right up again. i have a new hot plug in it and new fuel

Last edited:
Rolex thats fine. I have been out of town with a family emergency!

My is doing the same thing. It cuts off when the temp gets to 295 and it is hard to start back. once it cools down to about 200 it starts and runs fine. I put a new glow plug in and run new clean fuel everytime.

hey rolex dont mean to steal the thread but if hes not guna answer ill go. Mine is doing the same thing from cold starts right up then about 5min runnin it gets up ta 300+ and is veary hard to start again untill it gets down under 200 or so then starts right up again. i have a new hot plug in it and new fuel

Rolex thats fine. I have been out of town with a family emergency!

My is doing the same thing. It cuts off when the temp gets to 295 and it is hard to start back. once it cools down to about 200 it starts and runs fine. I put a new glow plug in and run new clean fuel everytime.

Sorry, LilREd12, didn't mean to come off short, but it's a lot easier to follow a thread that gets regular replies and info to questions asked to isolate the problem.

For both of you, it sounds like you should richen your LSN a 1/16 turn at a time, NO MORE, then run it and see if it quits again. If it does, richen it another 16th. You'll also notice your temps coming down.
Don't make any adjustments to a cold engine.
From a cold start, allow it to warm up by blipping the throttle and driving it in slow circles before you expect performance. That's normal for a properly tuned engine since they don't run their best till they are at the proper running temperature.
When you've gotten past the half tank stall, let us know how it's running and we'll tweak it the rest of the way.

ill give it a try thanks rolex

also could it have anything to do with my exhaust i have the chery bomb exhaust on it and i dont really wana go back to stock i like it loud

Last edited:
Exhaust has a LOT to do with how an engine runs. It needs to provide the proper back pressure for a good fuel flow, and the tuned exhaust needs to work in harmony with the engine it's attached to.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try and let you know

sound like it is runnig to lean (hot) and it dies i think u need to richen it up ... mine did the same thing one day... hot as hell out and it was runnig 312F but it was smokeing i kept putting more fuel to it droped a lil bit but after that the engine was cooked but it was a old motor got luck them things can be a pain

Back