2.5 engine rebuild question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mn Monster

RCNT Nitro Sniffer
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
my 2.5 motor was on it's last leg, and i was going to just buy another motor. that said i figured i should tear this one down and see what was wrong with it. i tore it apart to find that the piston skirt was damaged. it looks like all i need is a new piston/sleeve. con rod looks good, my question is should i replace the con rod anyway if i get a new piston ? crankshaft is good, crankcase looks good no internal damage that i can see. this would be my first time rebuilding a motor and i'm just looking for some advice from the guru's on here ! would rather rebuild that buy a new one ! $$$$$$$!

Since its a 2.5 and not the 3.3, if you can find the piston and sleeve for under $50.00 its not too much of a chance to take if you think the con rod is ok.
Just consider that if you can't find the piston and sleeve cheaper than $50, a new 2.5R complete is only like $85.00 with the powerup program and includes a new pull start and OWB.

i found one on ebay piston/sleeve for $48 shipped

Id rebuild it much more satasfying and its easy as just seal it when ya rebuild and id would get a carb rebuild kit too only bout 6 bucks for peace of mind

well i got a deal on a brand new trx 2.5r, will be here next week!!!!! can't wait to get it broke in and get back to bashing !!!!!!

also if your doing a rebuild u should replace the engine bearings

+1 ^^ and seal it before you install it, also make sure you heat it with a heat gun to at least 170 deg before you try to start it for the first time.

Great advise guys, any other tips or tricks?

I am going to rebuild my 2.5, already ordered the piston / sleeve trou ebay (46 shipped)

You guys should try resizeing . only $ 20 + shipping both ways like $25
works great to squze a few more gallons out if cash is tight why rebuild when you can refresh

That would be great but he said his piston skirt was destroyed, if it was me I would replace the connecting rod too, can't take a chance of fatigue metal after spending money to fix it.