18650 pros and cons?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exitium

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Panasonic NCR 18650b 3400 mAh battery Li-Ion. 3.7 volts and I am planning to make a 3s out of it. What are the pros and cons if I use it on a 60 amp ESC paired with a 3930 kv brushless? Is it worth it/okay before I waste effort and money on this DIY experiments of mine.

I'm looking at a Panasonic NCR 18650b 3400 mAh battery Li-Ion. 3.7 volts and I am planning to make a 3s out of it. What are the pros and cons if I use it on a 60 amp ESC paired with a 3930 kv brushless? Is it worth it/okay before I waste effort and money on this DIY experiments of mine.

That's rated for a continuous discharge of 4.9 amps, highly unsuitable for performance RC applications. It would be good for something like a TX pack. 18650's have relatively low "C" rates compared to "pouch" style lipo batteries, even the "high-drain" ones top out around 10C.

That's rated for a continuous discharge of 4.9 amps, highly unsuitable for performance RC applications. It would be good for something like a TX pack. 18650's have relatively low "C" rates compared to "pouch" style lipo batteries, even the "high-drain" ones top out around 10C.
It can still run it but with a risk of damaging the ESC? or the battery?

It can still run it but with a risk of damaging the ESC? or the battery?

The battery will likely overheat and potentially even go into thermal runaway. The ESC would not be harmed except by the ensuing battery fire

The battery will likely overheat and potentially even go into thermal runaway. The ESC would not be harmed except by the ensuing battery fire
Would you be kind enough to suggest a suitable 3s battery/discharge rate for this ESC

1707348674572.png

Would you be kind enough to suggest a suitable 3s battery/discharge rate for this ESC

View attachment 181006

It depends on the vehicle you're going to be putting it into. Standard battery mounting trays are a certain size, but you might have room for a longer one, or less room intended for a "shorty" pack. You may want a "hardcase" battery, and you'll want to make sure whichever battery you choose fits. You'll also want to choose a battery with the right connector for your ESC - it could be XT60, Deans, etc.

I would recommend purchasing from a hobby-oriented retailer like Hobbyking rather than eBay or Amazon, as there are an overwhelming number of dishonest vendors inflating their performance values on those sites. Hobbyking at least guarantees the batteries to perform as advertised. You'll probably want something with 2000-4000mah for that size ESC.

I'm not sure what you're looking for? I'd want batteries that would supply what the ESC and motor combo could use. Being a 60amp ESC I'd be looking at a battery that could at least supply that.

It depends on the vehicle you're going to be putting it into. Standard battery mounting trays are a certain size, but you might have room for a longer one, or less room intended for a "shorty" pack. You may want a "hardcase" battery, and you'll want to make sure whichever battery you choose fits. You'll also want to choose a battery with the right connector for your ESC - it could be XT60, Deans, etc.

I would recommend purchasing from a hobby-oriented retailer like Hobbyking rather than eBay or Amazon, as there are an overwhelming number of dishonest vendors inflating their performance values on those sites. Hobbyking at least guarantees the batteries to perform as advertised. You'll probably want something with 2000-4000mah for that size ESC.
What maximum discharge rate can it handle? This 60amp esc. I newb sarreh.
I'm not sure what you're looking for? I'd want batteries that would supply what the ESC and motor combo could use. Being a 60amp ESC I'd be looking at a battery that could at least supply that.
I am completely new to everything about RC. I was wondering if a 3s 18650 battery could handle a 60amp esc but sir @tudordewolf answered that. I was reconsidering an 18650 pack because it's cheaper.

What maximum discharge rate can it handle? This 60amp esc. I newb sarreh.

I am completely new to everything about RC. I was wondering if a 3s 18650 battery could handle a 60amp esc but sir @tudordewolf answered that. I was reconsidering an 18650 pack because it's cheaper.

The 60-amp rating on the ESC refers to the maximum it is designed to handle, not the amount it will pull constantly. How much current flows depends on the motor and driving conditions.

In addition to their voltage and capacity in mah, batteries will describe the rate at which they can be discharged as a "C-rating", given as a multiple of the current draw that would empty the battery in 1 hour, since "mah" stands for milli-amp-hours.

A 3000mah battery being drained at 3 amps (ma = milliamp, 1 amp = 1000ma) would last for 1 hour, in theory. A battery with a 20C rating can theoretically be emptied 20 times faster than that, 20x3 = 60 amps. (but for only 3 minutes)

Be aware though, many budget brands exaggerate their C-ratings to absurd levels, and some even outright lie about their capacity. I would recommend the Turnigy brand for budget-friendly batteries that perform as advertised.

Be aware though, many budget brands exaggerate their C-ratings to absurd levels, and some even outright lie about their capacity. I would recommend the Turnigy brand for budget-friendly batteries that perform as advertised.
Will this do?

1707358379705.png

Last edited:
That battery is rated to supply 55 amps (Ah*C) and is more suited for crawlers or mini RCs. What do you intend to put it in?

I'd recommend CHNL batteries, best bang for buck (depending on market, I'm talking about EU but I'm sure they're one of the most affordable decent packs for the US too).

Showing us your RC would be much easier than having us guess what you need.

I agree with @nino. What you plan on using the battery for will be more helpful. Each intended usage will have a different requirement for power consumption.

Back