HPI Savage XL Monster Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In the never ending family line of Savages, HPI has done it again - this time this Savage truly is bigger, badder, and tougher. The HPI Savage XL!

The HPI Savage XL is bigger in every aspect than any other HPI Savage X. The Savage XL is 53mm longer, 25mm wider, taller, more ground clearance and tires that are nearly 7" in diameter! The Savage XL is based on the practically indestructible Savage X chassis and features some impressive upgrades like...

Click to continue

Savage XL

I have read through HPI site and it seems to me that it is something that Hotbodies (sister company) came out several years ago called the Truckzilla kit, with 2 opions, with tires and without tires. Just need a Savage to convert it onto that kit. The best thing about this kit is that is comes with a proper motor for the kit and not modified heli engine (side port), that one can only use that type of motor for it as other motors don't fit over the TVP plate on the right side.

SAVAGE XL out runs all!!!!

Yeah yeah..the Savage is great...but HPI should tighten all the screws for you...the second run...I lost my roto start backplate...what a pain the ass...of all the gears I lose it was the main startup gear...HPI!!! come on 600 bucks...lesson learn never trust any company...even if your truck is almost 600 bucks...:angry::p:

Had the same problem with my XL but after I got roto start backplate fix, I go camping on a week holidays and my first run,the lock pin set for the carburator falls out in the sand pit. Thanks to HPI, I sit and wait for parts.

are you serious??? damn...so far traxxas runs great from the start...but HPI is a lot more bang...a lot faster with the big blocks...so far I had to fix my backplate and A arms...because I rammed a fence...ha ha..oh well...

HPI has even stated that when one purchased the X SS or the RTR to check the screws in the back plate and to use blue locktite and with the carb pin lock they been so tite that it felt that it was going to break off. This year decided to get a Revo, and had more small parts break due to unknown reasons. The Savage could hold is tune even with temp changes and Revo constantly having to retune

Being that I have enough spare parts to build a Savage thinking that I will get the chassis plates (TVP) and engine plate.

yeah the traxxas...so far...can't get a good tune off 30 percent fuel...20 is best so far..but Traxxas always seem to have a tuning problem. HPI is not bad...but the best so far is MGT...tank after thank...she is still kicking the dirt...awesome...great duarablity...

fuel

how would you know if there is water in the fuel,I just bought the Savage Xl and it just does not seem to be running right. When it's running sounds like some sputtering not even finished the first tank of fuel had to stop need some answers. (using Blue Thunder sport 20%)

Sometimes one might have to re-adjust the break needles, or even check your glow plug to make sure that it has a good glow. Fuel bottles are usually sealed as there should be water in fuel. I haven't seen water in tank from new. With the water I wouldn't be to worry about it it is just when it sits for long points of time just some after run oil or ATF fluid in the motor, one other thing is to remember to put the piston to BDC whenever the enigne is cooling down.

The other thing is that I have seen and have had problems with is the mid-range needle, never touch the needle and goes on a auto lean.

Sometimes one might have to re-adjust the break needles, or even check your glow plug to make sure that it has a good glow. Fuel bottles are usually sealed as there should be water in fuel. I haven't seen water in tank from new. With the water I wouldn't be to worry about it it is just when it sits for long points of time just some after run oil or ATF fluid in the motor, one other thing is to remember to put the piston to BDC whenever the enigne is cooling down.

The other thing is that I have seen and have had problems with is the mid-range needle, never touch the needle and goes on a auto lean.

Hello all,
I just got a new Savage XL and have been having problems getting it to run through the first tank for break-in. From stock it took a while to get started at all, so like they suggested in their break-in video I tightened the idle screw a half turn, no luck, another half turn like they showed in the video and then it seemed to begin to want to start. After it started the temps seem to climb real fast. I had to pinch it off when it started to get near 250f. I can't seem to get it to idle with it under 250f. I'm not sure if there is an air leak or something, or if the HSN might have been set wrong from the factory? It just seems like it's obviously running way too lean for stock settings. Also there is only one exhaust header spring? I thought I saw in most pictures I've seen there were 2, I don't know if that would matter. Any ideas would be helpful. I'm thinking I might just get another carb see if that is the issue. I got my T-Maxx when they first came out almost 7 or 8 years ago and I don't remember having this much trouble breaking it in. But then again I didn't have a temp gun back then so I might have been running it hot also, however you could tell it was getting plenty of oil because it had plenty of smoke, there is hardly any smoke coming out of the exhaust, and not very much oil either. I was sold O'donnel 20% race fuel with it. I think that might also be part of the issue, as I think they put less oil in their racing nitro so that it naturally runs more lean? Anyway please help me think of anything I might be missing and give me some guidance on some sequence of trouble shooting steps. Thanks!

The header spring is probably your problem. You said the tank wasn't building pressure? Cuz it's probably blowing by the header.

I don't think that it will be your heading spring, as long as I had them there has only been one spring. Check your HSN it may be too lean, richen it up, start with about 3 to 3-1/2 turns from close, if still no smoke richen it more. Your LSN should be about flush to the outside. It might make it easier to fatten the needles when started. You all ready know that you need smoke.

looking for a replacement engine other than the 5.9 for my savage xl,want more power

Seems to me the best way to get an XL is to buy the X 4.6 and spend 28 bux to get the XL chassis plates and the extended driveshaft. The 4.6 engine seems to have way less problems than the 5.9 so if you're going to have to upgrade the engine might as well save some money off the get go and get the 4.6 and extend it

i hav a savX and about to order the extended frame set... does the GT3 body-shell fit anyhow to the longer wheelbase, or does it look silly....?

It looks fine on there. You just have to drill the holes in the right place

Yeah yeah..the Savage is great...but HPI should tighten all the screws for you...the second run...I lost my roto start backplate...what a pain the ass...of all the gears I lose it was the main startup gear...HPI!!! come on 600 bucks...lesson learn never trust any company...even if your truck is almost 600 bucks...:angry::p:
Lol yeah it sucks I just bought a brand new savage let me tell ya
It was not fun it was rtf ready to fix lol did brake in then
Throttle servo quit the battery melted the plastic on it
At a 2 amp charge and the screws falling left right and centre
Blue loctite all around..

Lol yeah it sucks I just bought a brand new savage let me tell ya
It was not fun it was rtf ready to fix lol did brake in then
Throttle servo quit the battery melted the plastic on it
At a 2 amp charge and the screws falling left right and centre
Blue loctite all around..

Thats why posts like this exist :)
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87194