Atlantic Tug build/discussion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well back to the build, summer and harvest got in the way was a busy one.
Managed to squeeze in a few days of painting on and off.
Now working on the finish of the rigging.
Will be ready for maiden come spring.

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

Couple closer shots of the cable guard rails.
Braided cable is run through thin metal uprights , a slow process but adds to the finish look.

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
As I intend to use the tug as R/C I wanted to make sure the lifeboats did not bang around and fall off when out on the water. I added two small supports under the boats and glued them on as well as with rope as intended, this way they will remain solid.
Also I am trying to decide what to do with the anchors so they do not move around either, will probably seal the chain entry points as well so water does not enter the hull. Will post once I have figured that out.
The supper structure is basically finished at this point.

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

Have an Atlantic Tug by Artesania Latina , my first venture in a boat build.
I have a older battery speed boat that required assembly but not real construction.I have built planes for 30 years so not new to building.
Have the interior structure assembled and squared up, not sure if required as plans only show 90 angle at join, but old habits die hard when you want a plane to fly straight.
Now just have to decide what adhesive to use to attach to ABS hull with

View attachment 157087

View attachment 157088

View attachment 157089

View attachment 157090
Really like your setup to make sure the bulkheads are lined up properly

Hello JeffVC. I came across your post in this group when searching for build logs for the Atlantic tugboat. I have recently purchased one and will be starting work next week. I enjoyed your posts and learned a lot by reading them and from your photos. I have some questions regarding your build, if you don't mind.
1) What type of glue did you use to glue wood to the ABS hull, and did you have to sand, or prep, the hull in someway to assure a good bond?
2) How did you go about squeezing the upper part of the hull so you could glue it to the bulkheads?
3) What was the final weight of the boat including ballast, and how much ballast did you use? Did you ballast it down to the waterline on the hull?
4) What type of motor and ESC did you use, and what batteries?
5) Did you include lights?
6) Did you paint the outside of the hull? If so what prep did you need to the hull and what type of paint did you use?
7) Did you coat the wood bulkheads with epoxy resin to waterproof?

Thanks so much, I appreciate it. By the way did you come across any other build logs for this kit?

Hello bobcasto2007
I have not came across any other build logs , there are lots of posts of ideas and finished models but none that I found that were step by step.
1. I used gorilla waterproof construction adhesive, it is sticky out of tube and dries to a flexible finish and gives lots of set time to adjust. I only glued up to the contact point without compressing the hull, then when I installed the deck I finished gluing to the top. I sanded the hull with 80 grit and cleaned with alcohol.
2. I glued the deck on with marine epoxy, white finish 2hr set , again allowed lots of adjustment time. Again sand with 80 grit and cleaned with alcohol . I used a combination of straps and clamps to compress the hull with masking tape and allowed lots of time to dry.
3. Not sure of weight, have not actually weighed it, ballast to bring it down close to white line, just so it is stable in water. I am away for winter but can weigh when I get back home and let you know.
4. 55t brushed crawler motor that I had laying around, along with a waterproof ESC. 12v gel cell 100ah with a voltage regulator from Amazon to bring down to 6V for motor.
5. I wired it for lights, interior white and navigation lights, same battery , LEDs with another regulator down to 3V. Is set up for smoke out of exhaust but have yet to find a generator that provides heavy enough smoke to be seen from a distance.
6. Hull is painted, sanded with 3000 grit washed with alcohol and painted with Rustoleum plastic paint. Has stood up well so far but not a lot of water time yet.
7. I did not waterproof any of the internals, the prop shaft is greased stuffed and the anchor holes have an old piece of inner tube glued on inside for the chains to seal to, so hopefully no water intrusion.

Thanks so much for the prompt and thorough reply. This will be a major help in my build. Did you cover the windows in the superstructure with clear film or leave them open?

Hi JeffVC,
While I was waiting on my kit to arrive, I did some research to attempt to find a real tugboat that is similar to the Atlantic. I attached a pdf file that summarizes the info I found and some of my calculations on scale model weight, draft, and hull speed. This all probably doesn't mean anything but was fun to do. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Calculation of Weight, Draft, and Hull Speed.pdf
    558.3 KB · Views: 30
Morning
I did not cover the windows, I hope no water gets that high but you never know.
I did embed magnets in the deck and then the superstructure to make sure they stay attached so hopefully no water enters.
That is an interesting file, I would guess that full up weight is close to 30 lbs so probably close to the file calculation. The battery is 9 lbs alone.

Thanks, the magnets are a great idea. I will definitely do that on mine. I read somewhere online that a similar boat was out on a pond when a wind gust blew the entire superstructure off and into the water. It landed upside down and floated and they were able to rescue it with a rescue tug model.

One other question. What types of paint did you use; on the wood superstructure and on the exterior of the ABS hull. Thanks.

What method did you use to bend parts numbers 52 and 43? It seems like most of the tools are only available in Europe with long deliveries and very high shipping costs. I can't seem to find a US distributor of either the electric type or the manual type. Is there another way to do a successful bend?

I actually just soaked then in a shallow pan of boiling water, then when I thought they where pliable enough I bent them around the deck then clamped and let dry. Once they dried overnight they retained shape and then I glued. Did the same with the strips when I planked the life rafts.

For paint on the wood I used a sealing paint called Zinser , it is a water proof white primer. On the hull I just used plastic bond tremclad

Thanks so much for the reply. I ordered one of the crimping tools yesterday but don't think I would like the way the planks would look. They would show the crimps on the inside of the walls. I am going to try your method, after a little experimentation on scrap. Thanks for the info on the paint you used.

Well, I finally made the mistake you warned me about in your postings. Good old part #107!! It has the same tabs on the left and right side and top and bottom of the piece, but the vertical slots are not the same spacing from the top and bottom edge of 107. I cemented it into the stucture upside down and therefor 108 and 109's tabs won't fit into the back wall. I think I will just shave the tabs off 108 and 109 and make it a butt joint with the back wall. Another problem I encountered is in cementing 108 and 109 together. They show in the instructions that these two assemblies are identical, but they need to be mirror images, so one of my door ways will fit but the other one needs to have the small piece cut off and glued to the other side. Of course it would of helped if I had noticed the mirror image symbol on the page!! Not taking enough time to study the instructions. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Hi JeffVC, Did you cement the hatch assembly (the one with the sliding hatch, just aft of the superstructure) to the rear deck or did you leave it free so you could access that area of the hull? Thanks

I used magnets to hold the assembly to the deck. I slide the hatch open to access electronics but remove to access more if needed.

Back