Zeroing in servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
:(Just a quick question, how do you know if you have your throttle/steering servos zeroed in correctly? I just cleaned my RS4 3 and dont know if I adjusted them correctly.

If you didn't have the servo horns off, nothing mechanical has changed. When you run the car you might need to tweak the trim knob to center the steering while you're rolling forward slowly.

Nothing wrong with cleaning. :D

Just to make sure, remove the center screw holding the horn on the servos. Turn on the radio and receiver to activate them. Turn the throttle trim all the way down and center the steering trim. Reattach the control horns while the carb is closed, and the steering wheels are centered.
Other than the tweaks mentioned above, you'll now be good to go.

OK cool, thank you I will do that. So I want the throttle trim all the way down on the radio? Not in the center?

OK cool, thank you I will do that. So I want the throttle trim all the way down on the radio? Not in the center?

All the way down as in set at neutral (center). This will allow you to adjust your idle higher/lower as needed when running your car to temporarily compensate for weather/cold engine etc. Trim settings shouldn't be used for long-term adjustments, adjust your linkages for that. Your engine will thank you :)

Last edited:
Throttle trim all the way down. That's the only way you can properly set the idle and not stall the engine when you brake. The trim is only turned up to make it a little easier to start cold, and for warming it up.

You're good to go. Keep us posted. Taking things apart and getting them set up correctly is all part of the learning process.