Yet another what kind of truck should I buy thread...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterbeavis

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My buddy has tasked me with buying him a "badassed" R/C truck, because he thinks I know what I'm doing. He claims budget is not an issue, but I want to get him going for around or less than $500. He first said T-maxx, but I kinda talked him out of it when I told him how much I have into mine. I havent seen a savage run, or take a real close look at

What I'm lookin for.. Out of the box reliability, toughness, and parts availability

1. Tmaxx - You can buy parts at walmart for em damn near, toughness sucks (another $500 later), and they arent too reliable when you tend to abuse things. I have noticed it to me more nimble of the two trucks I have. the motor always gave me grief till I put in a sirio .18.

2. Savage - no experience

3. Assocated GT - Parts availibility/aftermarket sucks. It seems like a pretty beefy design, unlike the T-maxx. It looks like it maybe would survive a curb, or a bad jump alot better. It handles rough terrain WAY better than the t-maxx, but isnt as nimble. the motor isnt too finicky, minor adjustments are needed to make it happy

Anyways, I am looking for input on what kind of truck I should look into.

MGT or the Savage. Out of the box the Savage is quicker, but the MGT handles better. Also worth considering is that the Savage is a little bit more involved to work on because of the vertical plate chassis setup, so the MGT is easier to work on and has a big open chassis with lots of room to change things around or add things.
Either way he'll have loads of fun with it. But, if he's getting a monster truck, after he gets everything else he needs to go along with it he's gonna be right under $600.

Whether it's a MT or a buggy, one a the deciding factors in my choosing, is parts availability (both stock and aftermarket). I don't know anyone who has left their ride completley stock and are fine with stock parts. Aftermarket support will make or break the success of something. Along with what GilBeQuick and SavageRockS mentioned, there is some interesting stuff on the horizon. The CEN of course has drawn alot of interest as to has the Losi MT. The REVO looks like it might get some attention as well. Sometimes it's best to follow the herd with a proven machine and personalize it with your choice of upgrades. Good luck in your choice.

although with the genesis comming out i wonder if itll hurt sales of the revo

I love my MGT. I don't know of any nitro ride that doesn't need any improvements. I am still looking for a decent set of shocks.

Savage!

For BOTH the aftermarket support AND the durability out of the box.

I have 2 maxxes, and wouldnt trade them for the world, but out of the box, the Savage was THAT MUCH better.

Get a CyberMaxx conversion.

i would wait for the REVO to come out and kill all the other rc trucks out there:flamer:

I wouldn't bother with the revolt at all, It is from Traxxass which made the maxx which will not take a beating out of the box. Good truck but not tough. I would personally take a hard look at the savage and the new rig from CEN

Man you guys rip on traxxas too much. IMO, the trucks they make are for racing....not for bashing. Yes, it is expensive to get a maxx as durable as a savage($1000 later and my maxx is as fast as a rustler and as durable as a savage.) Anyways, I think you should try the REVO. The maxx is old now and the savage(This is my opinion) is really sluggish in the performance department. And the GT, well.....a savage and maxx mix IMO.

Heh, my buddy is totally drooling over the Genisis .46 :D Then he went out and trashed my Monster GT by "jumping" it over a rock several times while I wasn't looking. Each time about stopped it cold. Broke the shock tower.... "ya, these are more reliable and toughert han the t-maxx..." My t-maxx did a cartwheel over the damn thing.. (I didnt know that the rock was the one he broke it over.... Thank god for the Ti skid plate...

Originally posted by Nitro_Freak
i would wait for the REVO to come out and kill all the other rc trucks out there:flamer:

I'm gonna get a Revolt when they come out. Phuck it, it's probably gonna be allot of fun. I'll probably sell the 2.5 that it comes with on E-bay and slap one of my reliable 2.5's in it, assuming they don't put a side exhaust in it or something.

Vince - I totally understand where you are coming from. IMO Traxxass comes out with great engineered desings, they just aren't durable enough. The Beauty of the Maxx is in it's design...the durability can be taken care of with lots of $$$ as you've pointed out but I had lots and lots of fun with my stock 2.5 Maxx back in the day. As for them making race cars/trucks. I'd have to disagree for the most part as a RTR XXXNT will stomp all over a Nitro Rusty on a dirt track.

well I'm talking bout the maxx and revo, the rustler seemed kinda like a side project...just threw a maxx motor on a smaller chassis and called it the Rustler. Uncontrolably fast!

I am a relative newbie to this hobby and the forum, however I love my MGT. This truck is awesome, the suspension articulation is good, absorbing the bumps like it was a parking lot. The only bad thing is the heat sink is suseptable to curbs and hard poop when it lands on its lid. But the power is really great, a huge step up from my NTC3 .12. Wouldnt trade my AE's

Heh, my buddy put in an order for the Genesis .46... We both can't wait for it to come in!

[EDIT] good thing it will be his money tho.....

Last edited:
another thing you might want to consider is a 1/8 buggy. super fast, durable, fun, i'm getting one during summer:buggy1:

Back