XTM .457 motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just picked this up off another member.
I was wondering if its missing anything.I'm thinking it is as I see there is no pull start and never saw a roto start but see where the silver hex is the plate has 4 screw holes that looks like either the ez start or pull start is missing. The seller didnt state that anything was missing and I didnt think to ask as I am a newb to buying anything nitro. lol!
636a5d18.jpg

Any help here?
Also it was used for 3 runs. What are some good tips to check it over and see how everything is?
Not sure which Xtm .457 this is(magnum pro) so how can I tell?

Last edited:
Its missing the pull or roto start is all. The hex is the starter shaft and the OWB is internal on that engine.
You would need to remove the sleeve to know for certain which version of the 457 it is.
Its one of my favorite bashing BB engines.

If it were mine I would dissasemble it and have a good look at the internals for wear and check the pinch while I had it apart.

Thanks Snook Man for posting and giving advice. Can you tell me if I dissassemble it will I ruin any gaskets etc? I never ripped apart a nitro motor before so I have no idea if there are any seals that need to be replaced etc.....

You would only need to replace the seals if they were torn or did not fit/seal well.

If you have never torn one down and re-assembled you may want to watch a few tutorials on line to get familiar with the process. Its not difficult but there area few tricks that will make it easier.

Okay will search for some tutorials on how to do it then. Thanks. Hey can I use the pull start off my original SH.28 motor? Would it line up and work for this motor?

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonable roto start for this motor?

Thanks again buddy. Do you know how they hold up? I was reading on global services xtm website and some member there used a HPI/Axial one for his. He said the string doesn't break as easy. http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewtopic.php?t=21891&sid=c21106aaff496a649fec08e9456981d5

I'm really interested in a roto start as I thought that would be best no? Some one else had mentioned a XTM Sure Start http://www.globalhobby.com/public/xtm/gallery/145890.asp But not sure how good that is and if I would need to change anything on this motor to get it to work?? Any help? :)