XTM 247 engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi guys i just bought a xtm 247 engine and the air intake in the carb is small compaired to my AR .21

would it be ok to change the carb or should i just keep the stock one

thanks in advanced craig

Craig, I don't have the technical knowledge that people who design these engines have but in my opinion, I don't think you have anything to gain by just changing the carb to a larger one. I'm sure that a lot of research went into determining what size carb to use to obtain maximum performance. As with any engine, just changing one thing without changing the others effected by the change usually results in no improvement. Increasing the size of the carb does no good unless the engine can flow the additional air available and may result in being detrimental to the performance.

Many carbs come with Venturi inserts of different sizes to adjust the power output and fuel consumption. If you have a larger bore carb that fits the engine block correctly you might increase engine performance. Doesn't hurt to try if the carb fits the engine

Many carbs come with Venturi inserts of different sizes to adjust the power output and fuel consumption. If you have a larger bore carb that fits the engine block correctly you might increase engine performance. Doesn't hurt to try if the carb fits the engine

i bought the engine off ebay with loads of extras brand new just broken in ( and it shows tones of compression and the engine insides are immaculate )

they included a spare carb off of a SH engine that has a slightly bigger bore but its still smaller than my AR .21 carbs bore

thanks for the info i will try it stock then increase size accordingly and see what happens

i bought the engine off ebay with loads of extras brand new just broken in ( and it shows tones of compression and the engine insides are immaculate )

they included a spare carb off of a SH engine that has a slightly bigger bore but its still smaller than my AR .21 carbs bore

thanks for the info i will try it stock then increase size accordingly and see what happens

And so? Did you try changing carbs and if you did, did it work?

And so? Did you try changing carbs and if you did, did it work?

I'm taking my car out today after tuning the engine just right & it has tones of power with the stock carb so i will keep it as is,

thanks for the info every one i will probably do a carb swap once i require more power

The carb on the 24.7 is a decent carb. I'd leave it as is. I've had 2 or 3 of those engines and while they aren't the most powerful thing out there, they are pretty reliable for 6 gallons or so, then their pinch gets pretty weak and the OWB starts slipping.