Xmaxx owners and ex-owners

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
This question is for the Xmaxx owners @StonerRC365 and others, how tight should the steering bell crank spring be tightened down on the Xmaxx? I've done a little bit of research but can't find anything.

This question is for the Xmaxx owners @StonerRC365 and others, how tight should the steering bell crank spring be tightened down on the Xmaxx? I've done a little bit of research but can't find anything.
Just looking at the diagram, that is basically a servo saver. So it would be whatever your preference is and depend on driving conditions.

I kind of figured that. Thanks Wicked. Someday when I grow up, I will be a master Xmaxx assembler .. :p

If Stoner can check his you can at least set it the same. But I am willing to bet it varies from kit to kit depending on which kid put it together 😜

You are right, it should be up to user preference. A ball park figure getting it close would be cool though.
The bracket that holds down the bell crank really compresses the spring so at least I know it goes that far. My guess would be to tighten it down just until the hold down bracket fits snug.

Any Xmaxx owners have any pro and cons on the Xmaxx belt drive system?

I've been checking them out and other than the obvious saved blowing of the spur and pinion, in which I can see a belt failing more often. I was just wondering what the advantage would be.

I've been checking them out and other than the obvious saved blowing of the spur and pinion, in which I can see a belt failing more often. I was just wondering what the advantage would be.
Since you don't do any really heavy bashing, I would just stay with the pinion and spur. The advantage would be if your motor moves it isn't going to destroy the gears. That and it probably runs a little quieter.

But I don't like the way the motor mounts on the X though. Those vertical slots for the motor screws are a bad design. Jumping is going to cause the motor to put a lot of stress on those mounting screws. It would be a better design if there was a threaded screw that you adjusted the motor vertically and the motor mounting screws were flat head screws going through fixed hole locations. That way the motor couldn't move. Maybe I can design something when I get mine going.

I did notice there is the plastic spacer that goes in there with this mod also.
I'm not going to purchase it but was just wondering. I agree with you, the advantages are obvious but the belt would be worrisome for me and you are correct, I don't bash hard. :)

I did notice there is the plastic spacer that goes in there with this mod also.
I'm not going to purchase it but was just wondering. I agree with you, the advantages are obvious but the belt would be worrisome for me and you are correct, I don't bash hard. :)
The only problem I see with it is the belt tension trying to pull that lower pulley up out of the chassis. In that vid the guy puts one bolt through the chassis with a nut on the bottom. I would do at least two bolts like that if I did this mod, if not all 4 with a 3d printed plate to mount under the nuts to give them a better place to rest.

I'm really not impressed with it for that very reason. The motor is going to have a ton of torque and sitting on top of a plastic spacer isn't going to help any.
@StonerRC365 points out something which makes total sense. These youtube guys that post there mods don't post a video of it failing, so rarely is there a follow up video showing whether or not it was a great mod. Motors systems is a fine example.

That is a good point. Although, it does look like a good system. I think it could be made to be very reliable. The problem I see in the motor mount design could create problems for both systems. Less so for the belt drive because a motor loosening up won't typically destroy the belt. It is the lower mount I would be concerned with, but that looks to be fixable. But then again, this seems to be only available in the UK. I would be interested in giving it a shot just to play with the design a bit.

On the motor mount though - I have watched a lot of Kavin Talbots X-Maxx vids and I don't recall any of them having the motor move on him. And he tries to destroy all his rigs.

I still think I'll pass on them but who knows, I may get bored and purchase a set some day.

The main advantages of the belt drive that I can think of are Its quiter (Which Kev already mentioned), Smoother operation compared to gears, Less prone to damage from debris or motor slippage, and shorter gear ratios are easier to implement. That being said its not without a few minor cons too.

It would be a lot less stressfull on the drivetrain also. With gears you have the gear mesh causing a very slight gap that will cause the gears to slap together. Not really noticeable, but it is there. Also, any bind in the drivetrain, as when the tires have a lot of traction in grass, slicks on pavement, etc, will be absorbed by a belt system versus having a slipper. I have been thinking about this since this morning. I dunno. Something to consider here. If I could get my hands on one I might give it a go just to see how it performs.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I'm thinking the same thing.
If you want to try it, I could design a bracket to mount under the chassis to put nuts on that lower plate that holds the lower pulley in. I would definitely upgrade that plate to the Hot Racing aluminum one though. Heck, I might even do that upgrade with the pinion/spur setup.

I will definitely let you know...

Any Xmaxx owners have any pro and cons on the Xmaxx belt drive system?
Oh the belt drive is a crazy system. But it adds alot of tension and resistance on the motor. Which will make your motor run a little hotter. Then with normal gears...I thought about it. But after researching it. Found that you would have to stay on top of the temps all the time...