XL starts wide open?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBoss

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hello everyone, first post on the forum, I'm new to the world of nitro RC trucks so needless to say I'm still learning. Seems you guys know your stuff here, so here goes nothin.
Bought an XL a couple months ago, everything is still stock except i had to upgrade my steering servo to a Futaba during break-in.
I have been having problems holding a tune so i sealed my engine with permatex ultra copper rtv and green slime.
Took it out for a test run today and it looks like i mightve used a lil too much RTV... it stalled and i couldnt get it started, so i pulled out my glow plug to check it, it was totally dead and had a little piece of RTV wedged in it.
I'm hoping that any remaining excess RTV just works its way outta the engine on its own...?
Replaced the glow plug and it was running okay, i flipped it and it stalled.
Now, when i start this beast, it starts in full throttle!! what the!!!!
I have to hold the brake for it to stay still @idle speed..but if i let off the brakes it revvs up to full throttle!
so the only way i could drive it was by letting off the brake.. and it is only front wheel drive now haha :D WHAT DID I DO!!!

Ok so I have front wheel drive because a set screw fell outta one of the rear drive shaft joints.... But why am I stuck wide open?

Check your carb, is it closing like it should? I would never trust something to "work it's way out of the engine", the only stuff I want in my engine is air and fuel. If a piece of the rtv blocks your fuel you'll be chasing a tune and possibly run lean, it could also get into a bearing and cause it to lock up or fail. I'd recommend a tear down and inspection, then reseal it and be a little more careful with the rtv.

I would start with the transmitter and servo and work your way back Down to the motor .. I agree with the teardown of the motor but as a last resource .. Maybe ur trim just got knocked or moved while handling .. Good luck with the throttle problem .

Ok first of all thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
I was looking@my Futaba throttle/brake servo and it appears the servo horn assembly came apart on its own... Theres a screw in the top of the servo horn that looks like it should hold it all together, but the top part that controls my throttle linkage pops right off even with the screw in... Leaving the carb stuck wide open.
I put it all back together n superglued the top (throttle) part in place, who knows if it will last.
that screw should hold both parts of the assembly together, right?(throttle& brake)

Time for a new servo and servo horn. Sounds like the servo spline is stripped or damaged. The super glue will work but your taking a huge chance because once that glue let's go, your truck is at the mercy of that servo.

Don't count on it .. Maybe if baby it on the street .. Just order you up one befor it goes out when u think it's working and you slam into some thing and break more than you bargened for .. .. Good luck

Headed to hobby shop today after work, pickin up a new servo n a set screw to get back to driving in 4WD..
I'll let yall know how it works out.
Thanks again!

Back