Xbox 360

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajames942

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, i was looking at buying an xbox 360, so i can play grand theft auto 4. Just wondering if anyone here knows of any website,store or i could get one for a good price with a harddrive.

I hear gamestop has the better model refurbished for like 320 with a 3 year warranty. I think it comes with some extra stuff too. Might want to check into that.

Gamestop has them for like $270, and you can buy a harddrive pretty cheap, if they don't still have that deal listed above. I was shocked when I saw how cheap they were, it might have been less than $270 for the used ones, I can't remember.

I know there making a lot of money though. A guy came in and sold his xbox with two controllers and a game for $90 while I was there lmao. That's a lot of profit.

I think I'm going to get the one from wal-mart. Its 259.99 and includes the wireless controller, the 20gb hd, HD Cable. I only need to 20gb becuase i have 8 gigs of music I'm gonna put on it and i dont have highspeed internet i have Dial-up I know dial-up but its the only thing i can get for where i live. and i think the graphics will be awesome onn my 37" Vizio LCD TV

Well I don't know that you can just transfer music to the harddrive from your computer like if it was a regular computer harddrive, I've been out of the loop but I know you couldn't do it a while back when I was big into mine. But, you'll have it networked to your computer so theres no need to store music on its hard drive anyway really. You can also network it with your MP3 player. But unless you were hacking it before, you couldn't just transfer any files you wanted to onto the harddrive from a computer. You can rip music from CD's, just not transfer from your computer without mods, which sucks I think.

Last edited:
Would i need the wireless thing to network it to my computer?

You can run a hardline, thats what I did. If it's not near your computer, or you haven't crawled under the house and run a hardwire network (OK, I'm a nerd lol), then you will need a wireless bridge. You can pick up a nice one from ebay for about half what microsoft sells theres for. Just look for "wireless gaming bridge" or something like that, but make sure it's a bridge to catch the signal and not just a router.

I have dial-up so theres no networks in my house lol. But what your saying is i could directly link my computer to the 360?

Yeah it's super easy. You just run an ethernet cable (fat phone line) from the xbox to router or the back of your computer, and then from the xbox browser, you can open the files and folders that are on your computer. It's really cool. I download all my movies, and my xbox is wired to my desktop, and its connected to the entertainment center in my room. So I just browse to the folder that my movies are downloaded too, because it has a DiVX player built in, select the movie that I want to watch, and never have to get out of the bed. Really convenient when you just got done doing the horizontal mambo with a hot chick and you really dont want to get out of bed.

It also saves A LOT of money, because before I was burning all those movies to disc, usually going through about 10 discs a week.

You can also play music from an mp3 player or flash drive as well, in the same way but using the USB ports.

Ahh ok i get it now..AWESOME I can't wait till tomorow, my mom just offered to pay for it and the game for me becuase she owes me $300. Charlie, what else do you like about your 360?

dont buy a used one...buy a arcade one that has been made in 08 with the new 175 power supply they run cooler and have hdmi out and arent suppose to red light like all the other ones the say they refurbed or whatever but i have traded some poopy ones in at game stop and i would never buy a used one from there its just to sketchy arcades or like 280 brand new then buy a used hard drive i have had like 4 360s so trust me dont buy used oh yeah i have gta too if u eva get rid of that dial up and play live hit me a f/r

dont buy a used one...buy a arcade one that has been made in 08 with the new 175 power supply they run cooler and have hdmi out and arent suppose to red light like all the other ones the say they refurbed or whatever but i have traded some poopy ones in at game stop and i would never buy a used one from there its just to sketchy arcades or like 280 brand new then buy a used hard drive i have had like 4 360s so trust me dont buy used oh yeah i have gta too if u eva get rid of that dial up and play live hit me a f/r

Bmiller, I'm not planning on getting a used one at all. and the arcade starts at 199.99 now. There was just a price drop on them. I dont think it inludes th HD Cable. I wish i could get rid of this poopy dial-up. But the only option is satellite and no one in my house wants to pay 70-80 a month for it. so were just gonna wait untill verizon gets off there asses and put the new phone lines in.

well i work at a audio/video store so if u want a good hdmi cable for that new arcade for a great price pm.I'm sure i have like two lyin around and its not no cheap ones like u get at walmart so just hit me with a pm or something if u interested

I'm gonna say to just go with the arcade and go buy a used what 12 r 13 g hard drive from gamestop i have had my arcade for a while now and no problems and my friend also has one he leaves on like 24 7 and no problems with his either. the arcades have a diff power supply then those and also a diff gpu chip i belive.all in all the arcade is the best 360 console out on the market right now

I'm sure there is proly some of them ppl with elites on this forum just smilin real big like yeah right whatever but the elites still have the older style disk drive that are way louder then the arcades.and the older style disk drive also stend to stick more and not read games.

gears of war 2 comes out soon I'm proly gonna get that still haven decided on the new cod world at war yet.skate 2 comes out on 3/3/09 that was one of the best skating games ever i would even recommend getting skate 1 if ur into skateboardin games.
pure was alright a lil too repitive for me looks good tho just not my type of game.i dont play many games offline when i buy a game it has to have great online for me to really like it like cod 4 and the original rainbow six vegas so we kinda on differnt side of the street here. i play for online ur just gonna be playin alot of one player and split screen

I'm gonna look into that....

Here is the most stupidest question you have ever heard here goes.......instead of buying a Harddrive could i us emy External HD i got for my computer with it?

You can use an external harddrive for your music and video, just like I told you about networking the computer. If all you were wanting the hard drive for was music, then you don't need a harddrive. Most people use them for downloading movies and demos and games and such from x-box live. But you can't use it for game saves. You can use a 512mb memory card though for your game saves, and it comes with the arcade.

The arcade does have the new processor which doesn't have the problems with the red ring of death. However, several of the other models also have the newer procs and work great, but it gets real technical as to reading the serial numbers and things like that to determine what parts are in them. I bought the Arcade just because of the newer specs and I leave mine on for sometimes weeks at a time and it doesn't overheat at all. If it did, I would buy a PS3. I don't use equipment thats second rate. I bought a 20GB harddrive used for $40 on ebay when I got me xbox, and then I watched ebay for about a month and got a 120GB hdd for about $50 with shipping.

It would be a lot easier to understand what you're trying to say if you could use proper grammer and punctuation. It gets really hard to read people's posts when they just type one long run-on sentence. :shrug:

Charlie, if you were me what would you do. Also the arcade dosnt include a HD Cable, Ethernet cable, and can't play original Xbox games.

I mean thats up to you. I don't use my 360 to play old xbox games at all, I upgraded so I didn't have to play those games anymore. If you buy the arcade unit, you can always add a harddrive later, it just snaps on, and then you'll be able to play old games. It's not like you'll never have the option if you don't choose it now.

If your moms paying for it, you should decide if you would rather have the hd or $100 more worth of games. I don't see what you'll use the hd for myself. If you have an axternal USB harddrive, you can store all your media on there and access it with the xbox. A typical gamesave is about 4mb or so, so the 256 mb memory card will get you started for a while at least. I have a harddrive, and I almost never use it except for game saves, because I store everything on my computer and its networked, and I don't play online much and hardly ever download anything from xbox live.

Also, the Arcade version has several upgrades on internal components, and features and HDMI port, which is a big bonus if you have an HDTV.

Also, I made a mistake before. I said gamestop had the consoles for $279, but that was an error, they're $179. I would buy a new one personally, but I was just correcting my bad information.

Last edited:
i dont like periods what can i say lol

........................................................................................

Back