X Maxx vs. Savage Xl...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highxj

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Getting slowly back into RC, I have a couple of Savage XL's with good high performance engines. However, the X Maxx has captured my interest, but I've never seen one run in person. My question.. how 'fast' are they? Acceleration.. say a straight up drag race against a well tuned Savage XL with an LRP 32?

I would go with the electric over nitro any day. My nitro days are over with.

Electric cars are low risk of engine failure

Getting slowly back into RC, I have a couple of Savage XL's with good high performance engines. However, the X Maxx has captured my interest, but I've never seen one run in person. My question.. how 'fast' are they? Acceleration.. say a straight up drag race against a well tuned Savage XL with an LRP 32?
I have an Xmaxx 8s and it's a BEAST. I like it a lot. Very durable too. I don't know much about nitro/gas vehicles.

?to? a on road rally car on a short blacktop against a monster truck is no race. turn that around and take the rally car to the dirt and see what happens.
On road rally car? Might want to look at the video again?

LOL no I believe the video is real. I'm just saying that the same car with the same setup running electric will outrun the Nitro. The x-maxx is not made to run in a little parking lot that has no room for turning a large-scale truck. I'm not going to say there's not a large-scale out there that will outrun 1/10 scale but I'll bet they're pretty far and few between

LOL no I believe the video is real. I'm just saying that the same car with the same setup running electric will outrun the Nitro. The x-maxx is not made to run in a little parking lot that has no room for turning a large-scale truck. I'm not going to say there's not a large-scale out there that will outrun 1/10 scale but I'll bet they're pretty far and few between
I hear what you are saying, but the only way that statement is correct is if they are running the same gearing. HP and torque numbers can be drastically different and the nitro can kill an electric if its not geared correctly. I'm just saying a nitro is far from slow. And I too have an xmaxx 8s!

@CrucialRC
While you are right and Nitros aren't slow and @BopP exaggerated with Electric will outrun nitro any day, with comparable cars a good setup electric will most likely be faster than a nitro setup (Interestingly enough, on real cars I still prefer gasoline compared to electric while in the RC world, I drive only Brushless...).
As entertaining as the clip is to watch, you're still comparing a 1:8 scale race truggy to a 1:7 scale MT (which is about 2.5 to 3 times as heavy and has a higher center of gravity, which even in a straight line is bad; wheelies, although I love them, slow you down).
I know that you know that, but the thread starter could see that in the wrong light and get from that that nitros are still faster, which is not really the case. ;)

@highxj
If I were you, I would definitely still keep a Savage XL with nitro and maybe get myself a brushless vehicle.
The XMAXX 8S is a blast to drive, but I personally (drove one of a buddy of mine) found it to be to sluggish for my taste as there is a lot of weight that you have to move around, which is why I prefer my Arrma Kraton 6S. So you might look into an 1:8 scale brushless 6S monster truck, as in that size the accleration of electrics really starts to shine (in my opinion).
What might be the best option for you though would maybe be to convert one of your Savage XLs to Brushless. I mean, there was a Savage Flux, so the needed parts should be possible to find, and that way you would still more or less need the same spares for all your trucks but would be able to run brushless as well as nitro.

I didn't mean to imply that any electric will outrun any Nitro. I simply stated that the same cars with the same setups on the same track with the same driver will outperform the Nitro. There are many Fast nitro's and they are great lot of fun love the sound and the smell but for somebody that is new Nitro takes a much larger learning curve and not knowing how to tune properly or diagnose problems on a Nitro will cause more people to give the hobby up because of all the maintenance involved in the Nitro. when I buy another smoker it will be a two-stroke not Nitro. Bashing is not all about top speed as much as it is just having a good time.

Bashing is not all about top speed as much as it is just having a good time.

And that's kind of why I started running electric... once you get the cooling/gearing sorted, they are pretty idiot proof and if you have the charger/batteries to do it, you can run all day long without fussing with anything. Whether it's 20F or 80F, rain or snow or sun. I hated fighting with nitro in the winter... lol! Also, they are quieter, so it lets you run in more areas without having people get so annoyed and cops getting called.

I do still enjoy my nitro's... but they sit on the shelf mostly for the past 2-3 years I've been into electric running. On the plus side, my fuel is now lasting forever! (I know it goes bad, just a joke)

All great points guys. I'm nitro/gas for life but I do love my electric too. Mainly when the weather isn't perfect. I dont run my nitros in the winter but I mainly run my 5th scale gassers. I just got a X-Maxx 8S and love it tho. It's just hard to not think of electrics as "toys" because of the silence. There is a learning curve with nitros and gas but to me that's the fun of it. With Google, YouTube and forums like this the learning curve can be flattened rather quickly.

@CrucialRC
While you are right and Nitros aren't slow and @BopP exaggerated with Electric will outrun nitro any day, with comparable cars a good setup electric will most likely be faster than a nitro setup (Interestingly enough, on real cars I still prefer gasoline compared to electric while in the RC world, I drive only Brushless...).
As entertaining as the clip is to watch, you're still comparing a 1:8 scale race truggy to a 1:7 scale MT (which is about 2.5 to 3 times as heavy and has a higher center of gravity, which even in a straight line is bad; wheelies, although I love them, slow you down).
I know that you know that, but the thread starter could see that in the wrong light and get from that that nitros are still faster, which is not really the case. ;)

@highxj
If I were you, I would definitely still keep a Savage XL with nitro and maybe get myself a brushless vehicle.
The XMAXX 8S is a blast to drive, but I personally (drove one of a buddy of mine) found it to be to sluggish for my taste as there is a lot of weight that you have to move around, which is why I prefer my Arrma Kraton 6S. So you might look into an 1:8 scale brushless 6S monster truck, as in that size the accleration of electrics really starts to shine (in my opinion).
What might be the best option for you though would maybe be to convert one of your Savage XLs to Brushless. I mean, there was a Savage Flux, so the needed parts should be possible to find, and that way you would still more or less need the same spares for all your trucks but would be able to run brushless as well as nitro.
Good plan, I'm surely keeping my nitro stuff and in fact just bought a Novarossi Truggy 28-8 engine. But I also just picked up an E-Revo 2.0, and the thing is just stupid fast.... I'm a little shocked. Thanks everyone for the comments..

I have a few good videos thrashing my xmaxx the go hard

Back