Wow its cold.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut143

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I went to the hockey game last night and came out after a win in overtime and my car wouldn't start. We got out the cables, hooked them up to my friends truck gave it a go. The battery was getting plenty of cranking power but the engine just wouldn't turn over. So I get out to see if the kid hooked the cables up right. They were fine on the truck but he hooked black to red on my car. At this point my brand new cables are smoking and the ends are red hot. After giving the guy an earful I got the cables hooked up right. Still got no turn over. My guess is the gas lines froze. Like I said, there was plenty of cranking power with the brand new battery but still no turn over. Had a full tank of gas cause I know it gets cold up here. When I went out to get it today it started right up. Actual Low was -12 plus whatever windchill was.

That happened to 8-10 people at work a couple weeks ago when it got down around -20 early in the evening. I woke up and saw -27 on my thermometer in my car when I started it at 6am that morning. It wasn't really pleased about being started, but it's been starting anyway. I've been more amazed that my wife's car is starting. It's my old car and it has just under 170K on it. Mine is the same car, but 8 years newer and has 45K on it.

yeah... we have "his" and "hers" cars. She's not pleased, but she's happy she's in something safe and comfortable more than anything.

You guys are crazy. I think I'll stick to my nice Floridian 70's.

So I went to the hockey game last night and came out after a win in overtime and my car wouldn't start. We got out the cables, hooked them up to my friends truck gave it a go. The battery was getting plenty of cranking power but the engine just wouldn't turn over. So I get out to see if the kid hooked the cables up right. They were fine on the truck but he hooked black to red on my car. At this point my brand new cables are smoking and the ends are red hot. After giving the guy an earful I got the cables hooked up right. Still got no turn over. My guess is the gas lines froze. Like I said, there was plenty of cranking power with the brand new battery but still no turn over. Had a full tank of gas cause I know it gets cold up here. When I went out to get it today it started right up. Actual Low was -12 plus whatever windchill was.

if the car wouldn't even turn over that has nothing to do with the fuel lines...if it was turning over but wouldn't start then it might be the fuel lines but it not even turning over has nothing at all to do with the fuel lines if it wouldn't even turn over i would say there aint enough power or its your starter

you should get diesal also gas doesent freeze neither does diesel. diesel will crystalyze though

you should get diesal also gas doesent freeze neither does diesel. diesel will crystalyze though

the gas doesn't freeze if even a micro amout of water from condensation or whatever got in the tank than sucked up the line that is what freezes and its a pain in the a$$ to get out..you got to pour gas line antifreeze and every thing in there to un freeze it and prey it works

Seafoam is a great product will help remove any water from gas or fuel and cleans injectors and carbs out.

Bye the way it was in the high 70's here today....man we are ruffing it here in SUNNY TUCSON, AZ. :p:

its crazy in east texas one day its 85 that night is 25 and the next day is high 40s the weather is messed up

A diesel would be harder to start than a gas enegine ayt those temps.

not antifreeze like you put in your rad its a special gas line antifreeze..FOR THE GAS LINES

One of the most commonly used products in the USA - HEET.

Last edited:
A diesel would be harder to start than a gas enegine ayt those temps.

One of the most commonly used products in the USA - HEET.

+1 on the deisel being harder to start that gas and ya i know in the u.s. heat is a commonly used product but when it comes to -45degres celcius in the winter around hear we have other things

yea i meant the starter was cranking the engine (I used turning over) The starter was getting plenty of power cause the battery was fine. and qarrt 1:1 engines don't have glow plugs and antifreeze is a savior to cars.

yea i meant the starter was cranking the engine (I used turning over) The starter was getting plenty of power cause the battery was fine. and qarrt 1:1 engines don't have glow plugs and antifreeze is a savior to cars.

diesle engines have glo plugs, well some of the newer ones dont but most do. I have used the HEET before on a go cart and it helped out nicely.

just take a blow torch to the gas line and melt away the ice :D J/k!!!!

you just have to let your glow plugs heat up longer

First off, you have to hook up your block heater to a power outlet to get a diesel to crank in extreme cold temps. And the glow plugs only heat up to one temperature. So no, they dont have to heat up longer, well maybe like 3-4 seconds longer, but virtualy no diference. Diesel's hate cold.

Yes, my truck uses glow plugs. Last time i checked it was 1:1, or with its size, more like 2:1. :D

guess I stand corrected again. There goes my rep. I knew diesel contained plugs and I know it needs to be plugged in the winter. But I thought the combustion was solely driven by the compression of the engine.

yea gas will freeze but trust me you'll die before it freezes. it could be that the fuel bowls in your carb gummed up. is your car fuel injected or carbeurated

2002 Civic so its fuel injected. I'm sure some condensed water froze in the line.