WOW do I despise Windows 10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main computer that started as w7 and was updated to 8, 8.1, then 10 had issues. It would never reboot. I could shut it down, then start it up and it was fine. But, if I chose to reboot from the start menu, it would hang on the spinning circles. It did that since the upgrade to w8, and continued to do it for 8.1 and 10. The MB died in it a while back, so I don't have to deal with it anymore. Was annoying as I ended up using it as my media storage server, which didn't have a keyboard/mouse/monitor on it (other than my TV) and whenever I'd need to reboot, I had to be home. Couldn't do it remotely. Others at work I updated from 7 to 10 directly and they were relatively ok.

I haven't even had this computer a year. This thread was started in July when I got it. $1200 Dell. According to my research it's happening to a lot of Win10 systems after the latest update. This is not an isolated case.

I haven't even had this computer a year. This thread was started in July when I got it. $1200 Dell. According to my research it's happening to a lot of Win10 systems after the latest update. This is not an isolated case.
Guess I'm really lucky then. I have 8 computers I use daily at work, 4 computers at home, 3 peoples computers I help them with (in law's, neighbor) all running current w10 without issue. Out of all of those, just that one I had since w7 was a bit weird.

If it's trying to scan and fix errors on every boot, I suspect the hard drive. Even with a raid adapter and a bunch of drives, booting from the Dell splash screen takes me about 20 seconds with an SSD. I'm not sure what size OS drive that you have, but SSDs in the 1TB range are running just over $120. You can even get a budget Samsung 1TB for $117: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147738

You can then image your current drive to the new one using supplied software from Samsung.

Here's an article just posted today in Forbes:

Windows 10 just made the most important change in its history, but rewriting the update rules matters for nothing if Microsoft has to keep apologising for the quality of the updates themselves. And it has happened again.
Just one week after freezing Windows 10 computers with an earlier update, Microsoft has warned users of serious new problems with another. Writing on the page of update KB4493509, Microsoft has confirmed the update can freeze PCs both in operation and boot up.

Freezes in operation are more likely to impact business PCs as it impacts Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs), though the lock-ups which “may cause the system to become unresponsive upon restart after installing this update” are caused by conflicts with antivirus software. Microsoft calls out ArcaBit, but in TenForums a number of other brands seem to be affected too.

The good news is things are about to change. Microsoft’s aforementioned U-turn allowing all versions of Windows 10 to delay both minor updates and major upgrades, will finally give users the control they deserve and enable them to proactively block buggy software. That said, the change doesn’t come in until May, and April is proving to be a particularly bad month for Windows 10.

In fact, it has been a particularly bad 18 months with even the company’s most ardent supporters stating Microsoft has a “Software Quality Problem”. Updates to Windows 10 alone caused serious problems for users in January, April, October and November 2018 as well as February 2019 prior to the current ‘Awful April’.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to numerous articles I've read, it also has a problem with Avast AntiVirus software which is what I run.