Would you recommend buggies over short course?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Undertaker

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Would you recommend buggies over short course for starting racing. If so what are some rtr options under $400?

Out of interest, is there any reason you want a RTR? Why not look at a kit?

id go buggy then your skill level in driving can improve …. nothing like open wheel driving...

The reason I don't look at kits is because from my knowledge they cost more money to complete than just getting an rtr. I just don't want to spend that much $$$. If you find any cheap options for kits let me know.:)

Last edited:
I'm always doing research but I lack hands on experience. I saw the Tenacity on my own time and thought the same thing.
I can imagine I am going to break some parts especially as a beginner, so I like the traxxas due to the fact that it is easier to find parts for it. :p

That's really not accurate. Arma has a huge selection of upgrades and replacement parts probably just as many as Traxxas. The thing with the Arma is that you're not going to have to start out by spending extra money on upgrades.

Exactly what @BobP says.
I wouldn't go Traxxas Slash 4x4. I just have heard enough not so good things about it, and to be honest, I don't think it will be a very ''race''-style vehicle either.
Like I said, I would probebly (for track use) go either the Losi or the Hobao (if the Hobao part support is good where you are) or try to get a used rig like a Tekno.

Or, you do what @tntpoof suggested and get a buggy. They will force you to become a better driver as they are open wheelers, and they tend to be a bit cheaper as far as I know.
For example, if you go the buggy route you could look at a kit like the Team Corally SBX-410 or even get yourself a nice 1:8 scale 4S RTR buggy like the Kyosho Inferno Neo 3.0 VE. The Kyosho costs around 400$ and can be, as far as I know (I could be wrong about that), upgraded with most of the parts Kyosho uses on their race buggy chassis.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to take your advice. After doing some research and watching some videos, My favorites are the Hobao hyper sc10, the
Kyosho Inferno Neo 3.0 VE, and the Tekno SCT410.3, and the Losi 8ight 4wd buggy.

Would you recommend a nitro over an electric for a beginner, If the person is handy with maintenance?

I personally prefer electric, but that is a thing of personal preference. Nitros require more maintenance, and for the most part, have less power (although that is regarding the bashers; On a track, the power aspect doesn't really matter as you mostly are racing against similar powered cars. Also, I've heard some guys prefer nitro on tracks as the missing low end torque makes it easier to acclerate out of corners without spinning out).

There are a lot of positives and negatives, but long story short: It is personal preference, electric cars require less maintenance, and I myself prefer electrics (in the RC world that is).

I appreciate all your help. I think I've got a good idea of what I need for the job.
I'm going to drive some rc cars with my brothers friend. He has a Traxxas E-Revo and a Traxxas Slash.
It will be my first time driving a hobby grade rc.:)

Depends on what you intend to do with it , rustier 4x4 slash 4x4 both pretty quick ,
Senton blx etc all Quick in Straight line they do roll a-lot, you can stiffen them up and give better tyres then you’ll have grip roll,
Buggys can grip roll too but they can out maneuver a SCT, . You could look at an Arrma typhon 3s, if later you fancy a SCT the Under pinnings are exactly the same may be a shock tower and somebody posts and the SCT body then you switch between either .
If you want to be serious you’ll need a Race focus buggy kit .
I bought a Hyper vse Kit amd built it up .
meow it’s A beast on 6s but 4s is more enjoyable .

When I was there, I talked to the owner of the track and he had a Tekno buggy kit with custom parts on it .:)

When I was there, I talked to the owner of the track and he had a Tekno buggy kit with custom parts on it .:)

my friend has 1/10 buggy kit, It’s so Light and it Flies on 2s with a 6000kv Motor it handles good too . But some of that carbon can be expensive to replace .

it’s a Tekno 1/10 eb4.10.2 or something like that ? ?‍♂️ It’s my Friends not mine . But it was bloody expensive for a 1/10 buggy

I'm not looking for something not so expensive. I'm looking at open wheel vehicles at the moment, such as the E-Revo 1/16 scale. It's not expensive but I bet it is such a blast to drive :D :)

@The Undertaker
Didn't you want a vehicle for track use? The 1/16 E-Revo is as far away of that as you can get, it might be a fun car, but it is a bashing vehicle (and not even perfect as that because of its size). Don't get me wrong, it is a fun little thing if you have a few vehicles, but it (or any 1/16 scale) is the last vehicle I would buy as only vehicle.
If you're not that focused on track driving anymore, just get yourself an Arrma 3S Senton or Typhon. If you still are, look at the Losi Tenacity, the Hobao SC10, the Kyosho Inferno Neo or a used Tekno or TLR (or Team Associated or ...).

I knew somebody was going to say that eventually. I'm thinking about trying something smaller in budget to see if I like the hobby don't get me wrong I love the idea of track racing but, but I'm sorta realizing that that is a little bit to much $$$ to spend on a first car, at least for me. I'm truly considering your recommendations for arrma, team associated, tekno, kyosho, more. I'm just a little scatter minded in what i'm going to want to get.

Last edited:
Back