Wltoys 959b handling questions?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireball

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Just getting back into rc. Went to my shop to dig out my old rc cars. My tlr st is missing and everything else i had went through a flood. So its all junked.

i got my son a 959b. It handles like total crap lol. Ordered the adjustable arms, they will be here today. Also got shock oil on the way.

Is there anything else i can do to make this thing handle better?

We are also building a track any advice on that is also appreciated.
I got about 100x60ft so going to try and stick to 1/12 scale anD under.

Pretty sure I'm going to order a team associated 14b unless someone has a better recommendation.

What kind of handling issues are you having?
Right now if you open it up full throttle it just spins out. Runs straight at slow speeds.
There is slop in the front and rear. I hope these adjustable rods fix the issue at least most of it.

Maybe try loosening up the diff fluid with a lighter viscosity. Also, where are your shock preloads set at? Adding preload can prevent the car from loading it's weight onto the rear tires, just like having too stiff a spring can do. Maybe lighter shock fluid in the rear as well. Better tires might help as well, depending on your terrain.

Maybe try loosening up the diff fluid with a lighter viscosity. Also, where are your shock preloads set at? Adding preload can prevent the car from loading it's weight onto the rear tires, just like having too stiff a spring can do. Maybe lighter shock fluid in the rear as well. Better tires might help as well, depending on your terrain.
I have not checked but by the way it bounces I'm guessing it don't have any shock fluid at all in it.
Just checked the tracking on my shock oils. They won't be here until Monday. Hopefully i can find some in my shop. If the flood didn't ruin it to. Your probably right i bet some oil will help a lot.

Yea zero oil in the shocks. Got my upgrade parts in tho. Ill stick them on tonight and try to tune the set up a little. I hope these work ok. If so ill buy 3 more of them to let the kids and friends race em.

Yea zero oil in the shocks. Got my upgrade parts in tho. Ill stick them on tonight and try to tune the set up a little. I hope these work ok. If so ill buy 3 more of them to let the kids and friends race em.
Oil might help 😉 But too much spring pressure, and too tight a diff will cause it to spin out as well. So play with the setup one thing at a time, and see what helps.

Well it is a lot better. I can now at least get it to top speed on the road. If i give it full throttle at low speed it still spins out. I think fluid and play with spring pressure should help a lot more. It seems to be bottoming out and bouncing back up causing it to spin. Might look into a little bigger tire to.
Does caster, camber, and toe do much on a rc car?

Yeah, all those make a difference. Caster helps keep the car stable, but it also affects any camber you apply as the suspension compresses, so it helps with cornering by amplifying the camber during cornering, and transfers weight from side to side. Can you actually adjust the toe on the rear?

While waiting on my shock oil to come in i put some hydraulic fluid in my shocks. It handles a lot better. Ty for your advice. Much appreciated. Its actually fun to drive now. Still bounces a little tho. Ordered some more shocks for it to. I think these little cars can be decent but your gonna have 200$ or so in them by the time you make them decent.

Back