WLToys 124019 ESC wont turn on

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mordain

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. Just been getting into the hobby and as yet a complete newbie but having a lot of fun. I took my daughter to the park with her FTX Comet and my WLtoys 124019 and we had a lot of fun zipping about in the mud. However I started to get a few issues with my RC Car. At one point I applied the brakes, the car stopped, but then would not start again. When I went over to the car the red light was off on the ESC so I tried to turn it on again and it would not start. Figuring the battery was out I changed batteries but the ESC still would not turn on. No beeps, no red light.
After bringing it back home I tried again with a freshly charged battery and it still would not power on. Strangely after many attempts it did start up only once and appear to be working. Thinking the issue solved I turned it off again and tried to turn it back on but since then, after many attempts, it still refuses to start. No red light or beeps from the ESC.
Some mud did get inside the shell of the car and around the workings inside, the ESC didn't appear to be heavily splattered or wet but I wondered if it could be a problem with moisture on the electronics at all? I even tried to gently dry it with a hair dryer.
I am going to see if it is a possible moisture issue and let it dry out over a few days and keep trying it but has anyone encountered anything similar? I would much appreciate any thoughts you might care to share on what the issue could be.

Welcome to the site!

I'm not to familiar with wltoys, but the old secret electronic drying method was a container of dry rice to absorb moisture. Hope you get it sorted out. There are quite a few wl truck owners here that I'm sure will post up.

The moisture could've shorted out the ESC. Is it a receiver/ESC combo? Remember, electronics aren't always waterproof, water will find it's way in. Give it a few days to dry out and then test it, if it doesn't work, it's probably fried. If it's fried, you can get a replacement here.

Thanks folks, I'll give it a few days to dry out and will probably try the rice method as well. Fingers crossed!

Happy to say the ESC now turns on fine after having two days to dry out. Will be a bit more cautious getting it wet now and will be looking into water proofing.

Get you some conformal coating, disassemble the receiver, and coat the board with it. You can also do this with servos and esc's (that aren't epoxied). Other tricks are to wrap the receiver with a water balloon.

I'd suggest ordering a new esc now, before you need it, as well. They're cheap and you'll be glad you already had it on hand if the old one ever does have another problem.

I thought I killed the esc in my 124019 buggy so I ordered another one to replace it last week. I installed it when it got here and I was still having the same issue: down on power and speed. I was stumped. "Could it be the motor?" I wondered...

Nope. I had the throttle trim turned down to 50% LMFAO. Yep. I'm an idiot lol. But now I have a spare esc for whenever I do finally kill one. So there's that lol

Back