WL Toys A959-A - any way to tighten the turning radius?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verynicehat

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks - new here!

I recently built a small dirt track in my backyard and was running a 1/24 car that worked great. I picked up a WL Toys A959-A 1/18 scale RC, and unfortunately, some of the turns in my track are too tight for it. The car seems to have a very wide turning radius. The wheels don't actually turn that far relative to other RCs I've had.

Is there any way to make the front wheels turn harder? It seems pretty limited by the hardware where the wheels attach (knuckles?). I'm not optimistic, but thought I'd check here first.

Also, would love recommendations for solid RCs good in dirt/light jumps 1/18 scale to 1/24 scale in size. I've got an HBX 18859E on order to give a shot. Really liked my 1/24 HBX Wildrider but it stripped its pinion gear. Only a few places stock parts for that car, and shipping is expensive and takes a while. That model seems to be discontinued. I did order the new pinion gear though. Something higher quality would be fine too - Losi Mini T 2.0 looks cool but I think 2WD might not work great on my track. Here's me running the 1/24 scale on my track (and thinking to myself - this used to be faster....then I took it apart and saw the torn up pinion gear that is probably slipping a lot)

can you adjust the toe-in in the rear and toe-out in the front?

ok if you take off steering arm. can you turn wheels more?. and what mechanical device is stopping them from turning?.is servo maxing out in turning car?.on some truck the front hubs have a piece of plastic stopping hubs from moving sanding that can give you more radius..looks to be pushing in turns with slide. tires may be worn.

ok if you take off steering arm. can you turn wheels more?. and what mechanical device is stopping them from turning?.is servo maxing out in turning car?.on some truck the front hubs have a piece of plastic stopping hubs from moving sanding that can give you more radius..looks to be pushing in turns with slide. tires may be worn.
I think this spot with the "c seat" is the issue.

I guess I could dremel away a bit of a spot on both sides and see if it allows more travel. If the servo doesn't move far enough I think I can get a longer servo arm. I'll probably give this a shot. I'll have to be careful not to cut too much away and weaken it.

Fairly obvious solution, I guess. Just wanted to run it by some more knowledgeable people to see if there were like upgrades or people have modded this before.

Attachments

• 20200925_150504.jpg
    20200925_150504.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200925_150536.jpg
    20200925_150536.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 81
Back