Winter Project?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What are you building?

Car, boat, plane, helicopter?
Going to fix something that has been sitting a while?
What's on the rc "to do" list?

I have a SPAD that got hung up in a tree. Need to build a wing for it.
I need to re paint the front of my Eindecker.
Would like to start building something for the Saito radial I have. Got a set of plans for a Beechcraft Staggerwing. But it's got foam wings and I've never done that.

I'm really wanting to get back into the air.

What is everyone else doing?

Going back to when I was 17 and building a Tamiya Hotshot. It was my first RC and I have finally found one still in kit form for a decent price. This one will be a shelf queen.

It is going to bring back memories. I can't wait to get started. First I have to re-assemble a Tamiya Avante that I tore down for a thorough cleaning and polishing of aluminum. It was assembled but never touched the ground and sat on a shelf for about 20 years.

I'll be building myself a Muggy. I got some killer deals on fleabay. It should a week or so, unti I begin to put it together. :celb2:

2 conversions

1: Associated Factory Team RC18T - Late model dirt oval car
My list of parts:

AE FT RC18T front shocks/springs
AE RC18T front shock tower
AE RC18B front wheels/tires
Integy steering kit
SRP universal body mount kit
McAllister Carolina late model body
Xray 300 size heat sink

2: XRay M18 - Drifter
My list of parts:

Penguin 7500 chassis kit
Penguin vertical motor mount
Atomic multi-drive diff
GPM Ti tie rods
Xray M18T ball diff
XRay micro servo saver
HPI D-Box
HPI Nissan Silvia body
HPI MRS4 drft tires
HPI MRS4 wheels

Last edited:
building a 4wd pede! i have 3 or 4 torn down in pieces and i have a carbon fiber chassis already built from another project!

Here is a few I have started. Hope I can get one or 2 finished.

This is one I have had since 1996. Yeah I know, Get off my ass. Was a christmas present. My Bro bought me an engine a couple years later...

This is a little spad project I started. If you would like to try flying, build one of these. The plans are free. http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm 10 or 20 bucks in the airframe. The fuselage and wing ribs at the end are a little scatch-built I started before I got out of the aircraft.

This is a Bristol I started 2 years ago.

Bought this a year ago. NIB for $450. Have had it on a stand. Runs and sounds great. I have to build an airframe around it. :bling:

Last edited:
my project is getting some money together so i can do something. haha. i can't wait till christmas break from college so i can rack in the moola to spend on some upgrades for my savage

I just got a TLT that I'm going to strecth out and make a crawler. Figured Ill take my time with it and "Do it right". Should be a nice setup when shes done..

I also got my plane I hope I can repair after my last attempt of flying. I dont have much time in the air at all, and all the time I have, Its been with a buddy cord so if I screw up I can take over. But one day I was breaking in a motor and was doing some hard pulls off my gravel road in front of my house. I was suppose to get to the point of where it was starting to lift off then cut it back.. Well, It went up and up a little to fast.. So I figured what the hell..lol.. Tooled around for a bit then thoughts of landing threw everything off.. Lets just say a 200 foot drop going 3/4th throttle into a plowed field kicked our ass's and left me out of the flying scene for a bit..

Not sure yet. I know I need to break my rigs down and give them a good cleaning and repair anything, but I'd really like to build something or truly hop one of them up!

The Revo is just about where I want it, so a cleaning is all it's probably going to get this winter.

The RC10GT needs a good once over and new ball cups on the links. Think I'll drop that .15 CV I bought from Ratzo in there as well.

The Savage 4.6 needs a good cleaning and I may powder coat the TVP's for poops and giggles, although they look awesome as is. I'd really like to get a good mill for that monster because the 4.1 just doesn't seem to want to hold a tune very well. Thinking an Axial engine may be the way to go.

The Hyper 7 needs cleaned...BADLY! I also want to get quicker servos in it and, in general, learn about any upgrades that may help in a performance aspect. I never got to race my buggy this past year and it bummed me out. Anyone that has tips on this rig, shout 'em out!

The NTC3 needs a thorough cleaning and some adjustments to the tranny to get the poop point where I want them. Bought this thing from TJ and love it! Ideally, I'd like to find better wheel/tire combinations and have one of our resident body artists shoot me a killer lid for it.

Not sure where to go with my RC18T yet. It's got the Mamba brushless in it, but I have to get a better handle on the steering and tweak the ESC's programming a bit

Then there;s my Kyosho USA-1 Nitro that;s just calling me to do something with it. My probm is, what? Ideally, I'd like to make it a racer and run with the truggys, but the arms on them are so short, so I may need toi get a little creative on this one! I mean, it's got three diffs and a strong steering rack, just need to think it through. This poor guy has been sitting in the shelf too darn long! He needs to RUN!

Other than that, I want to try my hand at better paint skills, though I'll never be in the same league as Joe and Andy, It's a goal, at least.

Ultimately, I'd love to find an old T-Maxx that has suffered some abuse and then been left to rot. A good restoration project. Now I just have to find one that needs a good home. It'd be something my son and I could enjoy wrenching on.

Totally off the subject, but wouldn't it be great to have ice races on skating rinks. As the weekend ice cutter at the locat rink here, I see pritine sheets of ice just sitting for hours and I thougt how cool it would be to run an ice race!

Ah, I'm babbling! Working 7 days a week tend to catch up to you, so my apologies. Tomorrow start another 7 day marathon! CHRIST! I just want to run one of my rigs, even for just a hour! All I do now is look at them and randomly cycle their packs. On quiet nights, I can hear them sobbong, ever so gently.

Last edited:
I'm just about finish with the TXT, I have already gone through the Revo and my sons Maxx...Not much let to do except drive them :radio:

Monkey Wrench said:
Ah, I'm babbling! Working 7 days a week tend to catch up to you, so my apologies. Tomorrow start another 7 day marathon! CHRIST! I just want to run one of my rigs, even for just a hour! All I do now is look at them and randomly cycle their packs. On quiet nights, I can hear them sobbong, ever so gently.

I was wondering why you weren't whoring..I mean posting as usual. Working everyday sux, you gotta take a break and relax every now and then bro.

Last edited:
As soon as I get the bugs worked out of my brushless truggy, I am going to convert another nitro. It will be 1/8 scale and the power to weight ratio should be pretty wicked.

Wow... so much to do this winter. This is a busy time of year. Gun season for deer comes in the Saturday after Thanksgiving here in MD so I will be in the woods as much as I can.

As far as RC goes... I have a few projects on the table. First, I have to get the Jammin X1 CR finished. All that is left is to set up the servos and mount the Mill. I should have that done in a few hours. Then I need to get the FT 18T built and running before XMas morning. Then I have to get the FT T4 built and running before racing season starts. My CRT will be broken down and cleaned up really well, as well as rebuilding the shocks and diffs. I also have 4 lids to paint to. We should do another body painting contest.

Other than that I have some painting to in a couple of rooms. That shoud pretty much keep me busy until Spring.

I am also going to ski this winter as much as I can. Hopefully I will not break bones or anything else for that matter this year!

Tom

godale03 said:
I am also going to ski this winter as much as I can. Hopefully I will not break bones or anything else for that matter this year!

Tom
I figured you would have learned your lesson from last winter.

J/K Bro. Be careful.

digger said:
I figured you would have learned your lesson from last winter.

J/K Bro. Be careful.

I think I will stick to the bunny slope and the lodge this year! LOL

RC18t Mamba 6800kv/ESC upgrade.
Cleaning the Revo and replacing the stripped gears :doh:
Adding some functional upgrades to the RC 18r
Still looking for another project tho......

well i put my rc10t back together. it was in peices.. then i got my clod up and running.. now I'm looking to get a rc10gt to play with. other then that my biggest project was a 1980 suzuki gs 450.. got it running after sittin in a barn for 12 years.

I'm in the process of building a project e-maxx. got the base chassis and working on the mods to it befor adding the extras

took my inferno gt apart and re-made it with better parts, putting a new exhaust in, putting new engine in, and i am re-painting it, new pics coming up when it's finished.

Back