Wikipedia 24 hour Blackout

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostByte25

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Wikipedia 24 hour Blackout (SOPA/PIPA Discussion)

So yeah wikipedia.org is blacked out protesting PIPA and SOPA...

In short words the government is trying to limit our internet and the freedom of information...:angry:

Go here and sign the petition and find out more info on this...

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

FrostY

Last edited:
It sounds like we could use something like that IF they were doing this to limit information regaurding personal ID and things that people, just dont need to see.

---------- Post added at 2:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:28 AM ----------

Sounds like thats what they are doing in a way, I just hope they dont use this as a ticket to take and hold information from the public, oh wait, HAHA they already do..

Come on man... Craigslist is the only reason I get up in the morning! When I need to sell, I need to sell.

RCNT has also followed many other sites today, the front page too has gone black...

Not sure how much any of you have read about SOPA or PIPA, but it's pretty scary stuff what could possibly happen. The government would have the ability to shut down any sites they wanted. Here's just one example... Monster Cable has labeled craigslist a "rogue site," earmarked for blacklisting and full-takedown under PIPA -- resale of stereo cables by CL users reduces Monster 's new cable sales.

It's been going on for a VERY long time, the government is trying to push more bills down our throats that will only serve to allow them to censor us however they please. PIPA and SOPA are just the latest examples. Sounds to much like how North Korea censors everything for their citizens...

I'd highly recommend everyone to call and/or write their Representative to tell them to stop this bill!

Dont' want to call? Here's a fine email template to send to your Representative:
I am a constituent and I urge you to reject the Internet Blacklist Bills (PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House). I am deeply concerned by the danger these bills pose to Internet security, free speech online, and innovation. The Internet Blacklist Legislation is dangerous and short-sighted, and I urge you to join Senator Wyden and other members of Congress, such as Representatives Lofgren, Eshoo and Issa, in opposing it.

I have called my representatives as well as Lamar Smith to show my displeasure. All iI can think of doing is bombarding them with calls and email to show them that they are wrong and that we do not want to stifle our right to free speech.

I was bout to be mad... if i couldnt browse the forums here today...I'm glad you all really didnt blackout the whole site!...

FrostY

Done and done! I've been all over this since Day 1. Seeing as it directly affects my career!

It looks like the senators doing their version of SOPA called PIPA (Protect IP Act) are getting slammed and are having their websites going down from the amount of mail being sent to encourage them to stop their support for the bill.

It looks like the senators doing their version of SOPA called PIPA (Protect IP Act) are getting slammed and are having their websites going down from the amount of mail being sent to encourage them to stop their support for the bill.
Good!:hehe:

I just e-mailed my senators a few minutes ago to ask them to oppose PIPA (the Senate's version of SOPA) and ask that people here do the same. They aren't listening to people as much as the House is.

I signed it last nite. I know what I will do if it does get passed. I will get rid of my internet service. It will suck having to drive 60 miles to the hobby shop to get and order parts but I would rather do that then have Hollywood tell me what I can and can't see or do on the net.

The President also is against both bills as written.

And yes a big thanks to everyone who responded in one form or another. No freedom of internet would be the REAL end of the world.. screw Dec. 21st...Lets see what happens Jan. 24th when the senate votes..

FrostY

It looks like the protests had a positive effect. The Senate has delayed the vote on PIPA. The same thing happened to SOPA.

Last edited: